Running an electric current through a garage door? (2023 Update)

But 50v won't do any good as a deterrent, even 30 years ago. It's possible that the initiator of the voltage (e.g. a battery) was 50 v but this voltage would have to be stepped up to something useful.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Didn't say that Harry (and I'll refrain from calling *you* names like idiot). Read my post again. I suggested the OP may live in a country where defending your property is both legal and necessary. Of course, its unlikely since this is a UK newsgroup and no-one from outside the UK would post here just like no-one here would post on a non-UK newsgroup. I also suggested we live in a state that is becoming more and more hamstrung by laws telling us what we can't do, especially with our own property. Ask Tony Martin if he thinks the law allows you to defend your own property. I hope you are never in the position of having to decide whether a scumbag can just take your property and get off scott-free, or whether he should be prevented and suffer some serious consequences.

Reply to
Dave Gordon

I think you should read my post again, unless you have killed, or seriously injured an innocent person through the use of a potentially lethal 'security' device, in which case, the use of the term idiot should be the least of your worries.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

I want to connect electricity to the garage door. Help

Reply to
demustarm

To run an electric extension cord through a closed garage door, you could follow these steps:

  1. Find the path: Identify a suitable path for the extension cord to run through, such as the gap between the door and the ground or the side of the door.
  2. Install conduit: To protect the extension cord from damage, install a flexible conduit along the path you have identified.
  3. Drill a hole: Drill a hole in the garage door for the conduit and extension cord to pass through.
  4. Connect the extension cord to the conduit: Connect the extension cord to the conduit and thread it through the hole in the garage door.
  5. Seal the hole: Use silicone caulk or weatherstripping to seal the hole around the conduit and extension cord to prevent drafts and water from entering the garage.

Tools you may need: drill, conduit, conduit connector, weatherstripping or silicone caulk.

Keep in mind that this is a DIY solution, if the garage door is in regular use it may not be a safe option and if you are unsure or don't feel comfortable with electrical work it is best to seek the help of a professional electrician.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor