Re Sripping off a metal garage door

We have a single up and over garage door over 20 years old.

Even though it has been painted on a regular basis, this last Winter the paint has bubbled in quite a few places.

I am not sure as to whether to strip the whole door or just work on the bad bits.

Any suggestions and techniques please !!!

Cheers

Dee

Reply to
Deebrief

I have the same problem with my galvanised garage door but with the paint flaking off. Probably as much paint flaked off than is still on the door.

The thought of scraping off the loose paint and then trying to rub down is a bit daunting. I considered paint strippering the door to give me a nice smooth surface to paint. Then wash the paint stripper off with a hose and brush (not too much water pressure so I don't spray paint stripper everywhere). Then pressure washing the door to get the stripper out of the joints. My only concern is that the garage is at the end of the garden and the nearest drain is at the front of the house down a single car width road and passing cars might drive through a small stream of used paint stripper.

I'd be interested in alternative ideas.

Reply to
Periproct

galvanised steel needs a pretreatment of mordant,if my memory is correct, it etches into the steel making the paint stick better.

Bill

Reply to
BILL

A house I used to live in had similar problems. I sanded the door and left on the paint that wouldn't sand off then two coats of Hammerite and last time I drove past it was still looking good after more than 20 years

Ron

Reply to
Ron O'Brien

"Recommended For * Exterior use only * In oil-based paints: for coating exterior trim, molding, doors, furniture, plywood, metal * In oil-based primers: for coating exterior bare wood or metal * To condition bare or rusted metal: use on steel, garden tools, outdoor furniture, brass, aluminum and chrome"

A L P

Reply to
A _L_ P

With a little Black and Decker heat gun and a scraper, 3hrs later I easily stripped off all the old paint then repainted.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike