protecting table legs in the wet

I have a hardwood folding garden table. Where it stands is often a bit wet, which means the wood at the end of the legs is likely to start rotting.

What would be the best way of fixing something to the end of the legs to protect them from the wet or the best way to seal them. thanks.

Reply to
torge conrad maguar

In message , torge conrad maguar writes

Someone will probably have a better solution, but we had a tin of waterproofing (I forget which) and we stood each leg in the tin in turn for a day to make sure the wood was really saturated. This can be repeated yearly.

Reply to
Klara

maguar

rotting.

And once treated, fix a metal stand off to the bottom of each leg to hold it up 1/2" - they used to be called 'domes of silence' but haven't seen them recently. A thick pressed dome with four small spikes to fix into the wood.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

thanks.

Here you go:

The nylon ones are probably best for outside

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Small wellies .2 pairs should do .

lol

Reply to
Stuart B

Rub candle wax into the bottom of the legs (on a dry day)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

And VAT free if you buy the children's sizes. You would need the tie-top ones to stop the rain running down the legs.

Otherwise dip the legs in Plastidip, a tough dippable or brushable plastic, search for it on

(you want the coating not the spray).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Stand them in plastic pint glasses (from the beer stand at your local farm show, or whatever) if it's only a temporary situation.

s.

Reply to
someone

And when they fill up with water...

Um?

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

Not sure how deep the water is that the table has to stand in, but if it's just a few mm, after Klara's suggestion, pilot & screw 3 brass screws in the bottom of each leg but don't sink them in all the way.

The wood will be treated, the legs will be off the floor.

Vj

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

Hit the plastic pint glasses with a hot-air stripper gun to make a more permanent solution?

Reply to
Aidan Karley