Priming aluminium covered foam panels

Hi, am in the process of nailing up 25 mm thick 'Kingspan Thermospitch' sheet panels ( they are foam panels with the two outer faces covered in aluminium foil) to the inside of my loft joists to form an internal ceiling.

I want to paint them with white emulsion paint. What primer, if any; (preferably water based) should I use to put on the aluminium please? Or is a primer not really necessary? thanks.

Reply to
jw 1111

You may want to check your local building code. The International Residential Building Code requires foam to be covered with a fire resistive barrier such as drywall. Wouldn't want you to create a fire hazard.

RicodJour

Drywall would be easier to paint than aluminum. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Drywall (plasterboard) would indeed be easier to paint than aluminium. It would also be more acceptable from a fire point of view.

But if you're determined to paint the aluminium then zinc chromate primer is what you need.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Assuming you've sealed the seams to keep the paint away from the foam, spray it with rustoleum, and then cover the whole thing with this stuff:

Goedjn