Over a grand to move the electric meter!

Why can't they solder/weld (I'm not sure that soldering is still the right term given the size of the cables!) with a sleeve over the top (and put it in a box if they're worried about mechanical strain relief - but the point is it would end up as a solid joint)?

Surely that would be no more and no less tamper-proof than the actual cables either side of the join?

Reply to
Jules Richardson

They used to solder massive cores in the street[1] - I believe they usually crimp them these days.

Can you believe the soldering involved pouring molten solder from a ladle over the cable and ferrule and catching the runoff in another ladle - all while the cable, and ladles were live whilst sitting on a rubber mat...

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's why I put it in quotation marks, because, of course I'm not going to suggest in a public forum that somebody does this work themselves in a safe and controlled manner without informing the distribution company and getting their permission or getting them to do it instead

:) :) :) :)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

They are.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not the case

We had ours moved by EDF who are our DNO but they said any Lloyds registered company can move heads. The only problem is that EDF have a universal service obligation to do this and the other companies do not cost to move up to 10 meters just over a grand. Meter company did not charge The It turned an integral garage into a proper bedroom and was worth every penny.

It was jointed to the lead sheathed incomer under our block paved drive which they dug but I had to fill and the engineers said they did

4 a day. However if the job had gone wroing they would I expect bring a genny for temp power I met a few clowns who said thet they knew a man who would come in his lunch hour for a few hundred quid cash and do the job but I like to get things done by the book so I declined
Reply to
nimbusjunk

The cleverest we got was a chap who dug two quite small holes in the party wall and drove 6 inch nails through them into the meter tails belonging to his next door neighbour. Unfortunately for him, he hit the ones coming out of the meter and the neighbour called us in to investigate why his meter readings were suddenly a lot higher. Even so, it took a keen-eyed engineer to spot it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I know engineers that will fit a new unmetered supply to a house for £200 if you dig the hole ready for the new connection.

They turn up with YEDL signed van (yes a works van not a copy) and they do the connection on their dinner break

Not bad for 1 hours work.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

wonder if they collect the =A3200 then dob em in a collect some kind of reward ?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Warby

Well that is a good way of not getting repeat business.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But how many times would you need to get an unmetered supply installed?

Reply to
polygonum

Everytime you move?

Reply to