Line new plasterwork or not?

Just decorating newly built extension this week and its the first time I've had to deal with new plasterwork. The paint I'm starting with is Macpherson "Eclipse" emulsion which seems pretty good stuff and is recommended for use on new plaster.

Is there any benefit to doing the walls with lining paper before adding my top coat of emulsion? The plasterer seems to have done an excellent job so apart from any tiny cracks appearing with movement/drying out, I can't really see the need - and its been over a week since it was done anyway.

Thoughts?

TIA, Midge.

Reply to
Midge

Yes. If you strip it off you get a new wall to work on, not a painted monstrosity.

I would prefer strip and a nice new start.

Reply to
EricP

I think you will be making unecessary work for yourself if you line it. A smooth plaster surface is an ideal base for painting, but don't use vinyl emulsion or it will stop the new plaster from breathing in the drying process. I painted out my newly plastered extension and the finish is superb, mind you I had a good tradesman doing the plastering. B&Q sell a very good white emulsion in 10ltr tubs and it performs just as well as Dulux I have found, at well under 1/2 the price. The finished surface will be hard wearing whereas a papered finish will be susceptible to scuffing damage.

AJ

Reply to
AJH

Thanks for the replies folks.

Reply to
Midge

When painting new plaster you need to give it several coats. First coat is what's called a "mist" coat and is emulsion watered down with about 30% water. Next coat use a slightly less watered down mix, final coat can be paint only.

Reply to
Slider