Lighting earthing on 35 year old house

I father's house is about 35 years old and the lighting is two core and in perfectly good condition. I would like to upgrade the lighting in the bathroom using halogen lights, however, I believe that these need earthing, as the bathroom is the furthest point from the consumer unit is it possible run the earth from a copper probe sunk in the garden or will I need to rewire? Many thanks.

Reply to
MGPB1936

Good practice and part P of the building regs would require you to to upgrade the main and supplementary bonding upto the current regulations before starting such a project. Supplementary bonding is here

and main bonding is here

I cannot bloody find the link

so look at

now

Also look at

I do not know of many downlights that require an earth, most are double insulated, and those that do require an earth are not suitable for many bathroom locations. Look at the SELV requirements in the 139 download.

If you are suggesting that you are going to sink a copper stake into the garden to make an earth for the lights then forget it. The words wrong, dangerous, bodge, and death spring to mind.

The house must be older than 35 years old as an earth for the lighting was required from 1966 onwards.

HTH

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That dates my house quite nicely thanks. I knew it was built in the 60s but it didn't have lighting earths until I rewired it a few years ago.

Reply to
malc

My parents house, 1955, does have earths on lighting circuits (and fortunately PVC wiring which was only just coming in then), so there's quite a range over which houses may or may not have earthed lighting circuits.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel