Insulating Solid walls

I don't know what building youre referring to, but it seems fairly evident that in the many number of cases of damp near the base of walls, those things listed are routinely factors.

Re rainsplash, it would be a rare building that had such a large roof overhang as to prevent any rain hitting the ground by the base of the exterior walls.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I believe its best to put insulation on the outside, as then the walls are a heat sink - the book i borrowed from the library was so good that i bought it over ebay...

Insulate and Weatherize: Expert Advice from Start to Finish (Build Like A Pro) (Paperback) by Bruce Harley (Author) "There is a lot of misconception, folklore, and conflicting information about the consequences of weatherizing a house: ""A house has to breathe-you don't want it..." (more)

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

I think "none" is slightly overstating it, iirc there were one or two test walls with a very soft brick and high sand lime mortar where they did observe it.

The general observation that rising damp is rare and hugely over diagnosed is fair though.

Reply to
John Rumm

That's what happened at my house, so I've dug a trench around it and am scraping the crud away and it's drying out, it's nicely situatied on a local rise, water drains away in all directions so i dont need any damp course in this particular case.

But will put some DPCV plastic under the new floorbaord joists

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

My dad told me that Portsmouth Council had to demolish a huge estate because of rising damp - it was built on the spring line on the side of Portsdown Hill which is made of chalk.

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

Well if faith in my own experience is to be sacrificed to your opinion, I am afraid so.

I LIVED with rising damp for about 7 years. All on or near the INSIDE walls that hadnt been injected. The outer walls which had, were fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But it's a strange one that doesn't have a rood that stops the interior walls getting splashed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No. because thats the 'warm' side of the insulation IF you seal airgaps If not, the insulation is a waste anyway.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

which is a positive in summer, but a possible negative in winter.

You need the heating on earlier - much earlier.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which will then rot the joists :-)

Sorry, only kidding.

For sure ther are more ways of tacking damp - even rising damp - than a DPC, but its simple cheap and very very effective, which is why its used.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

?

And what do you believe that proves?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

yes, but does one observe such sandy mixes used in practice?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

How much was the cash prise, and what would be the cost of proving to an adequate level that one deserved it. If the latter exceeded the former, then you have your answer!

Reply to
John Rumm

what?

I have been meaning to ask what to put between the joists and the small supporting walls under them- slate or some kind of plastic?

[g]
Reply to
george (dicegeorge)

That rising damp exists, and is treatable by injection, amongst other things.

And your failure to accept either, makes you a prat?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Only in period properties.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

'If' indeed, granted :-)

I'd have thought there must have been a survey done somewhere that demonstrated rising damp beyond doubt.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

The old lime mortar I've dealt with in several houses was certainly no better than sand.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I have experianced rising damp. Our last house was built sometime before

1835, the morgage lender insisted that the 9inch solid brick walls have damp course treatment. All remained damp free except an 18inch section of a front outside wall and a 3ft internal dividing wall. The damp proofing company were called back under the garantee period and admitted the insde wall had been missed on the original treatment and fractured bricks had caused a break in coverage of the fromt wall. They re injected these sections, after which we had no more rising damp.

The damp in these areas could be clearly seen by a wavy line of bubbling in the internal paintwork.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@care2.com saying something like:

Certainly, they are, and in the vast majority of cases would be the cause. However, this particular wall was facing east, the prevailing weather was from the west and the western-facing wall showed no sign of RD. Or any other form of damp for that matter.

Planters' bungalows, Bwana?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon