How heavy ...

... is 2400 x 1200 x 9.5mm plasterboard? That is what you use for ceilings, isn't it? Just wondering whether me and the missus will be able to put it up.

And what is the best thing to use for fixing? Screws or nails?

Cheers

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Lidl I think did a cheap "lift".

Failing that two pieces of wood made into a "T".

Women tend to be very poor at lifting much above their head re trapezius & triceps muscles. It's where male & female differ most significantly and will fatigue just as you say "wait, not yet... oh...".

Reply to
js.b1

OK - thanks - we'll ditch the idea of the missus helping me.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Get her to slide the T-piece under. Indeed it may be worth making two up, one for each of you.

The lifts are pretty cheap, you can hire or make. Basically imagine a "sealant trigger gun", only long enough to reach your ceiling so quick to hold a board up.

There are smaller sheets of plasterboard available, although might not be economic. It is an awkward task so having the missus run around with a T-piece or tool is actually a lot easier than doing it on your own. Just don't expect her to be able to hold it above her head for long because fatigue will set in before it's fixed :-)

Reply to
js.b1

I think you've just discovered the rule of thumb that covers pretty much everything :)

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

"John Whitworth" wrote in message news:4a6cc801$0$2528$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

As others advised make up a couple of simple "T" shaped supports from 2x1 timber. Make them slightly longer that the room height so that the wedge nicely in place. I have boarded ceilings with help from SWMBO and it worked well with her operating the wedges.

I would say screws, as long as you have a power tool to screw them in with, just be careful not the drive them right through the plasterboard. Nails are ok when fixing to solid timbers, but if fixing to battens with any amount of bounce its screws every time.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike