HIPS questions

I am about to sell a 2 bed property.

I am seeking advice on the best way to go with a HIP survey. By best way I probably mean cheapest!

I understand estates agents will sort it but would I be better off going independently? Are Estate Agents likely to want the money up front as I would prefer it to come out of the proceeds.

I would also be interested in typical charges made so that I can recognise a 'rip-off'' more easily.

mark

Reply to
mark

The DIY method is probably going to be cheapest, but maybe not easiest. Try a 'google' for DIY Home Information Packs

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

We got ours online after extensive searching via Google and making a half dozen calls to check the existence of the companies we thought as intersting. Our Estate Agent would have charged us around £500 and online cost £125. Yes, it was the barest minimum possible to cover the legal requirements and yes, the company has since disappeared but hey, I only needed a single HIP to download and printed the rest off from that. I'd do the same again rather than pay the Estate Agents waay over the odds.

Reply to
Harry

I personally think the HIP report is another symptom of Ripoff Britain! It's about time someone looked into this properly. Another way for the Bottom Feeders to get a few more £££.

The HIP report on the house I sold 6 months ago mentioned the sort of lightbulbs I used, for chrissake!!

Anyone with any sense, buying a new house, will look at the heating system, windows and doors and insulation. Why do we need this rubbish?

Barb

Reply to
Barb

I also sold a house 6 months ago and the HIP gave it a poor energy efficiency. One of the main recommendations for improving the energy efficiency was to fit solar panels to the roof. It's a 250 year old thatched cottage.

David

Reply to
David Williams

Thanks. Think I'll give the estate agents a swerve.

mark

Think I'll give the estate agents a

Reply to
mark

I dare say the HIP didn't mention the insulating properties of the thatch either.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Cicero

It is a complete rip off and waste of money. We changed every bulb in the house to an energy saver the night before the "energy survey" for the HIP and then switched back again afterwards - even the young lady performing the task laughed at the obvious mismatch with some of the fittings - bumped us up a few points though ;->

We're buying the place we live in now through a private deal so no HIP requirement. Yesterday, the solicitor called to tell us we do still need an energy survey as a legal requirement. It's madness, we live here already and know what is or isn't in place and it'll all change soon anyway. Another £50 gone South as I've no time to look for cheaper.

Reply to
Harry

So a HIP isn't necessary for a private sale? I may have a buyer lined up, (neighbours parents) would that be a private sale?

mark

Reply to
mark

Yep. But, if you've already contracted to an Estate Agent then you'll also have comitted to paying them a fee however you sell. Check any contract wording carefully.

Reply to
Harry

Thanks Harry. The plan is to work on the presentation for another week or so then get 3 estate agents round to determine a price. Should my prospective buyer evaporate then I shall probably use an agent. Who would I contact to get just an energy survey?

mark

Reply to
mark

I don't know, but the law on HIPs did just change. You used to be able to put your house on the market providing you had ordered a HIP. Now you actually have to have it completed and available before you can legally start to market your house. This was to get round a loophole where some companies set themselves up to provide HIPs, but with the full knowledge of the buyer, were never going to do so.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I would be surprised if a 'private sale' really differs from a sale made using an estate agent. Is there anything in the legislation to confirm the difference? If so, it offers a loophole worth exploiting.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

gazumped

Here's a few surprising things then; provided a property has not been "marketed" to a section of the public then no HIP is required for a private sale. i.e. to family or friends. If a prospect approached you and asked to buy your home, then no HIP is required and, in my world, they'd suddenly become friends. If the property has a sitting tenant then no HIP is required. If you've put the property on the Net, local papers, stuck up a "for sale" sign or signed with an Estate Agent then it's being marketed and will require a HIP. No idea about legislation, this all comes from my solicitor's letter of last Wednesday, although this seemingly knowledgable site seems to confirm it all,

and it even links to the main source to find a Domestic Energy Surveyor for those of us who don't need a HIP.

Harry

You only need an 'energy report', when you make a private sale. Just done this with a property with no internal walls / electric / gas..There is no provision for this type of property in the energy reports !

Reply to
john