help identifying bolt in order to get another, thanks

Hi I have a gadget that holds together using two half inch long bolts. Unfortunatly I've lost one. I'm hoping I can just buy another easily but don't know how to describe it in order to find the replacement. So I was hoping more knowledgeable people might be able to help.

From reading around I think its a round head, flat underside, machine screw.

It has a rounded head half and inch accross with a single slot in it, which is handy as you can then unscrew it with a coin. The head is flat underneath not sunk in any way.

The screw rod bit then sticks out half an inch in length and is about

5mm diameter or 3/16ths of an inch.

Does this match a standard type? I don't mind if one has a smaller head as I can always just put a washer under it to make up for it. Though the large head is handy. I tried looking at various websites but all the sizes use code types rather than specifying the measurements so if anyone can help identify an equivelent type I'd be gratefull.

Thanks a bunch

Reply to
ff

Is this what you are looking for?

Tony Bryer

Why don't you just remove the other one and take that as reference????

Reply to
vag-com

Can't you take the remaining bolt into a hardware store and ask them to match it? Also take the gadget so that they can confirm thread size. I don't see how you can reliably match this by looking at websites. If you know the name of the manufacturer, and they are still trading, they may send you a replacement bolt.

Reply to
Codswallop

thank-you for the thoughts. Bolts are obviously more complicated than I imagined. Also I ran out of newsgroup allowance for the month so had to wait before replying.

In the end it turned out they were 1/4" 20 unc screws which I couldn't find. However the manufacturer kindly sent a few to a relative visiiting the usa who then brought them back with him so it worked out ok. If a rather convuluted method of getting hold of them.

Thanks for all ideas and thoughts.

Reply to
ff

Thats sort of US equivalent of whitworth..

Studs bolts out of a yank tank?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News)

Tony,

they are exactly what *I* was looking for. Well timed !

I'm impressed,

M.

Reply to
m__murray