Fruit Juicer for eye problem

Yup, I think that is closer to the truth - it was supposed to explain why our pilots were so effective at finding incoming aircraft and hide our progress on RADAR.

(whether this has anything to do with the role (if any) of carrots and cataracts is another matter!)

Reply to
John Rumm

It's also said, on some sites, that you get a better sound from your digital equipment if you pay a grand for a cable.

Is there actually any reliable evidence?

Reply to
Skipweasel

Well you got half of that right

Nothing to do with carrots. Nor did Colossus have anything to do with decoding Enigma codes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Exactly what my aunt said after her op at about the same age - "Why didn't anyone tell me how dirty my house was?"

Reply to
Skipweasel

In message , Terry Casey writes

How focusable are the replacement lenses? Can you again do 6" to infinity, like you could when you were young?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

And here's a site that says the bible is completely true and the Word of God exactly, because the Bible itself says so...

The Natural Philosopher

Cavity magnetrons. Everyone had magnetrons (of simpler form).

The funny thing, (thanks to RV Jones' misinformation on TV), is that so many Brits think the cavity magnetron was solely British. In fact, everyone had cavity magnetrons too, except the Germans. The Czechs probably invented them, the Russians developed them early on, the Japanese had the best design (they solved two problems early on, one of which eluded the British right through the war).

British nightfighters were never as effective as the Germans, because their relative phases of the war were a couple of years apart - by the time the technology was in place for really effective air interception at night, there just weren't as many German bombers attacking the West.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Oh yes. Potatoes, Cabbage and Carrots.

And that's pretty much all there was till the mid 50's.

And SPAM. Lots of SPAM.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I seem to remember some hippy died of an overdose of carrot juice in the

60's

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Skipweasel ( snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com) wibbled on Sunday 13 March 2011

21:53:

Because, dear Aunt, you'd have whacked me in the Queensburys with your handbag...

Reply to
Tim Watts

This review says the cheapies are OK.

but they don't make such an impression on visitors.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

Well two reasons really:

(1) The local anaesthetic not only stops you feeling any pain in your eye, it also stops you blinbking, stops you moving your eye, and then finally, makes your eye stop working (by numbing the opetic nerve) so that eye just goes out - quite weird really. So you can't see the sharp things coming, and they cover the other eye over.

(2) Which leaves just the problem of lying still and not moving your head (even thoug you're lying on a block of wood shaped like the botom of a guillotine!) - however that's easy as soon as you consider that the surgeon who you can hear but not see *is* sticking sharp things in your eyes, so lying still suddenly become pretty simple :-)

Actually, my cataract only took about fifteen minutes, and being fairly young (as cataract patients go) at 58, it took a bit longer to blast my old lens to pieces - so lying still was pretty easy. Now lying still for the hour and a bit that my detached retina took to fix

*was* a bit tougher, but then rule (2) above applied even more so in that case!!!

Graham (Now with perfect vision [in one eye] as Terry described above)

Reply to
GAP

Hardly a surprise, was it? Monster Cable must be laughing all the way to the bank, though, 'cos people still keep buying their junk.

Reply to
Skipweasel

John Rumm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Jimmy Rawnsley (scuse spelling I may be a little off) who was "Cats Eye" Cunningham's radar operator/navigator throughout most of the war specifically references that myth in his wartime biography of Wing Commander Cunningham, "Night Fighter".

He also jokes about the vitamin pills they were issued, apparently most aircrew saved them up for when they were going for a night out on the town ... but nevertheless failed to have any appreciable effect if you know what I mean. It's a bit like eating a plate of oysters before that "special time", I've never known more than the first 7 to work ;-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

If you're interested in such things, I recommend Bernard Lovell's [1] biography, he was heavily involved with the development of radar and describes the endless frustrations of manufacture and installation being unable to keep up with development. Problems rearising during the design and building of Joddrell bank [2].

Anyway, since no-one else has so far said it, I'll say it. Of course carrots are good for your eyesight. You never see a rabbit wearing glasses.

[1] Later Sir Bernard. [2] Built at least partly with kit he nicked at the end of the war. Well no-one else knew what it did or what to do with it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

What does he say about putting pyrex bowls on the hob?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Ah, well, Pyrex isn't what it used to be since it got taken over. It's now soda-lime glass, which is claimed to be as good, and in many cases may be adequate - but borosilicate glass it ain't.

Reply to
Skipweasel

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying something like:

Bollocks, anyway. The carrots rubbish was generated on behalf of the British nightfighter pilots who were using a nifty on-board radar set the Jerries hadn't a clue about.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon