Felting Garden Shed ?

Purchased a garden shed earlier this year and rang today to complain about the felt on the roof cracking. I was told that the felt they used was not covered by the guarantee. OK fine, this I am not practically bothered about because I would rather have a better felt on the shed anyway. My question is this. Can anyone recommend a descent type of felt, supplier and rough price please. I am totally clueless as to quality to use.

Reply to
the_constructor

You need heavy duty shed felt. Any shed building company should be able to sell you a roll for about 20 quid. Unless you specify heavy duty felt when you order they just supply cheap shed felt (rabbit hutch felt). Heavy duty shed felt should last between 10 and 15 years.

Reply to
Handy

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 traders must sell goods that are as described and of satisfactory quality.

If consumers discover that products do not meet these requirements they can reject them and ask for their money back providing they do so quickly. Alternatively, they can request a repair or replacement or claim compensation.

A roof that lets in water in less than a year is clearly not of satisfactory quality. Repair or replacement is a legal right and nothing to do with a manufacturers/retailers guarantee. Of course if you put the felt on yourself they'll argue you knackered it.

If their knowledge of the law & cust service are anything to go by the shed will fall down by xmas anyway!

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I suppose it depends upon who assembled the shed and installed the felt to the roof. Many sheds are self assembly so short of structurally failing through a design fault, I would think you would have little chance of progressing a claim because it could easily be put back to the fault of the person who assembled / installed the shed.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

I'd recommend never using nails and battens, just felt adhesive. The nails make holes and anyway if you use them and battens without the adhesive the wind may blow the felt off between the battens. I've seen it happen.

So use only adhesive. And put it on in strips up and down the roof. That way, if any pinholes appear in the felt the water will run away under it rather than getting caught up as a pond by horizontal adhesive.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

i've seen some tiles made of felt put on a council building. i think they come in strips that you nail on, overlapping each other. they look much better than ordinary rolls of felt. but i dont know where you get them from.

Reply to
monrae fordi