External telephone wiring and ADSL

oh, before Jan 1st you mean ..... erm, yes, I did, I remember now ;-) What I meant was my neighbour found out he couldn't do it .... [ahem]

Reply to
Tx2

You've been slightly misinformed. You can do it yourself, but it may need to be inspected by the Building Control Dept. I'm afraid however that extra-low-voltage lighting is included in the scope of the regulation.

You can read part P online at

here's a summary, much snipped, of Table 2 as it applies to both you and the OP:

--------------- Work that need not be notified to building control bodies:

Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation

Work not in a special location on Telephone or extra-low voltage wiring and equipment for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes

Special locations: Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin Swimming pools or paddling pools Hot air saunas

Special installations: Garden lighting or power installations Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets

Extra-low voltage is defined in BS 7671 as ?normally not exceeding 50 V ac or 120 V ripplefree dc, whether between conductors or to earth.?

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

And have the receipts to prove it. We nearly lost a sale a couple of years ago because some work had been done that didn't meet the Part L requirements that prohibit you from replacing windows or doors without building regs approval. Without proof it was done before 2002, we had to either get it inspected or indemnify the buyer. Expect the same to start happening with Part P in a year or so, once solicitors get wise to it.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Yes, that was it ... a Part P competent 'spark' can self-certify it, a 'normal' electrician can do it, but then a fee is payable to have it inspected, or you do it yourself, and report it to the appropriate department, whereby a fee may be payable, or something. I was advised not to do it myself as *should* there be a fire etc caused by the electrics, the insurance company wouldn't even consider the claim based on the fact the installation wasn't/ may not be certified. I can understand it if I'm sticking bare wires in a fusebox, but this is feeding a low voltage cable through the wall, plugging it into a transformer, and then plugging that into a wall socket!

Apparently, as I think you mention in a latter post, certificates of installations are something solicitors will no doubt be asking for in house sales etc.

However, i see that "pre-assembled" is mentioned in garden lighting, which I suppose mine is, except I have to put the bulbs in, feed the cable through into the house, and then plug it into a transformer, the latter then into the wall. Is the "pre-assembled" enough?

My main fuse unit isn't RCD'd I don't think though?

I wonder how many people are actually killed or seriously injured each year by low voltage lighting? All the time you have B&Q, Homebase etc selling the stuff, you are going to get the DIY'er doing it, so I doubt these regs will really put a complete stop to it.

but here's a summary, much snipped, of Table 2 as it applies to both

Reply to
Tx2

In article , Tx2 writes

Similar.. Messy, a devil to clean from clothes and furnishings. Also, it can act as an insulator.

That's the general idea.

Part P is a pain!!! But whilst I can still buy the bits, and feel competent to do the job, I will. - Certainly in my own home.

Tend to thing again these days when a Client asks for a wall cabinet to have a fused spur to it. - Used to wire these into the ring myself, sometimes even live, if push came to shove, but it seems a little risky these days. Also, if I get a Sparky to do it, it becomes 'someone else's peoblem'.

Phil Partridge snipped-for-privacy@pebbleGRIT.demon.co.uk Remove the grit to reply

Reply to
Phil Partridge

I suspect 'pre-assembled' means something with a plug on the end of a cable.

Don't let an electrician near it, before he can even change a bulb, he'll legally have to put in RCDs. Mind you, this has been true for several years.

By All the time you have B&Q, Homebase etc selling the

Most people don't even know, and won't till they try to sell their house nad get asked the question....

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Going OT for a bit, why this over-use of the prefix "pre-" with everything these days..? Surely something is either assembled or it isn't..?! Pre- means before, doesn't it..? So something that's pre-assembled is before assembly, in other words not assembled at all..?!!

It's like this "pre-ordering" that bookshops seem to like, particularly when it comes to Harry Potter books for some reason. If I go into a shop and want to buy something, if they have it, I buy it. If they don't, I may well order it. Where does the "pre-" bit come in..?!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

By faulty *wiring*, an average of 0.8 deaths per year, according to the Government's own Regulatory Impact Assessment produced as part of the pseudo-consultation process before Part P.

Deaths by faulty appliances and extension leads are far higher. The use of extension leads will rise as a result of Part P. This possible increase in fatalities was not taken into account in the RIA.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Pre-assembled = Assembled before you bought it. This usage of pre predates present predilections, predictably.

Yeah, its garbage in that context.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

There is special outdoor CAT5 cable. In practice the regular stuff will work fine. If you are really concerned then you can use hosepipe as conduit.

Reply to
Mark Evans