Electric oven elements and watts output

I am about to replace the main oven element in my electric cooker. This will be the third time it has been replaced. I had others replace it before and they put in a 2000W element. Since it has blown again (in less than a year) and I intend to replace it myself I have checked the manual and it says the main oven element should be 2100W. I have gone online and purchased a genuine 2100W element and I am awaiting it's arrival.

I was wondering why my cooker had blown 2 elements in the last 3 years. Could it have been because of the lower rated element or is it my cooker is on the way out?

Thanks.

Reply to
M Jones

It is quite possibly the same element - some may have been marked for

230v supplies instead of 240v ones. Originally UK mains was nominally 240v but have now been harmonised to a nominal 230v.

Premature failure can be due to a large number of reasons including incorrect fitting, resulting in strain, overheating, vibration, poor contacts, etc, incorrect cleaning, resulting in damage or localised over-heating....etc..etc. Or poor design. Or any number of reasons.

Fitting an inappropriate element could produce the same results for the same reasons.

However, unless there was something else wrong, being 2kW instead of

2.1kW wouldn't have been the problem. Nor is it indicative of the whole cooker being on the way out.

Good luck with the new one. You do need to ensure that it is fitted exactly as it should be. Intermediate retaining clips, if present, have to allow for the expansion and contraction of the element - so "extra tight" is not making things better. Push on connectors need to be replaced if they show any sign of past overheating and may have lost their "spring". etc.

Reply to
Palindrome