Cutting a U-section in kitchen wall-tile

What's the best method of cutting-out a U-section from a kitchen wall tile? This is to accommodate a window board. The tiles are 10 cms square. Patrick

Reply to
Patrick E. King

I have only ever used a ceramic tile hand saw. They look something like this:

Reply to
DIY

You'd find it easy with an electric cutter with a diamond blade.

Mark the cut out on the tile. I place masking tape on the tile and draw on that. Then just do several parallel cuts so that you end up with long fingers of tile which will easily snap. Smooth the rough edge of the cut out, (the one you can't get at properly) by carefully moving it sideways across the blade.

Might be best to keep fingers away from rotating disk.

mark

Reply to
Mark

Good idea that...hadn't occurred to me to cut the long fingers.

Reply to
Patrick E. King

If you already have a full size hack saw, you can get a rod-saw blade for it. Not quite as useful as deeper framed tile saw but handy for minor shaping.

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=rod+saw

Reply to
Midge