Could Someone Possibly Direct In Right Direction Please ?

All the CRTs I've seen have pins on the end of the neck to connect to which are nothing like a SCART. A CRT *TV set* may well have a SCART. If new enough.

Think that's what was meant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is the original spec. However, some also allow S-Video (common) and or components (not so common).

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not so. There would be no point in it having 21 pins if this were the case.

It was originally the French Peritel connector. This specified RGB.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They don't, Dave. This Acorn can produce them, but it's a long time since I've had a monitor that will accept them. I do have a TV with a VGA input that will, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've never come across a Freeview box that doesn't provide RGB. Nor have I seen one with component. But regardless of that modern monitors don't work with TV signals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Computer monitors won't work at TV resolution and refresh rates these days. They need a convertor box to do so - and these ain't cheap for a half decent one. However, you can get TVs that will accept a computer signal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed. A computer monitor is exceedingly unlikely to accept 576i RGB.

Reply to
Brian Gregory [UK]

I've owned three Freeview boxes and they can all output RGB. It'd be stupid not to, you'd be losing almost all the improved picture quality possible with digital TV.

Reply to
Brian Gregory [UK]

You need to become friendly with the council staff at the site. As long as you don't take anything they want, they will magically turn a blind eye when they know you.

Reply to
mm0fmf

You wouldn't choose that option unless you had the appropriate lead and display device to feed the component video in to.

Reply to
Brian Gregory [UK]

I dunno what the bodge is for component over SCART. Does is use a different voltage etc one of the control circuits to switch the set to components? And can you have HD via this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , "Brian Gregory [UK]" writes

My understanding is that most set-top boxes, recorders and the like, if they have a SCART socket, put out at least composite video, and (of course) *usually* also RGB. On my three tellies, for some unknown reason, composite is better than RGB.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Agreed.

Though VHS VCRs don't usually offer RGB out at all even if they use SCART connectors.

That's a little odd. I do get the impression that modern TVs are better at dealing with composite than in the past.

You do need a nice thick SCART lead to avoid odd crosstalk and mismatch effects spoiling the RGB but it's not usually a big problem on leads of normal length, say up to around 2 metres.

If it was just one TV I'd say that it probably just had a poor RGB input circuit.

Reply to
Brian Gregory [UK]

However, many will output S-Video which is of intermediate quality, but at least better then Composite Video.

I suspect this comes down to what he means by 'better'.

IMV, the colours from Composite tend to be garish, RGB looks more 'natural'*. But by far the worst thing about CV on all my TVs is the dot-crawl artifacts, which are there on both the CRT and the LCDs, but are more noticeable on the latter, because of their better resolution.

* I tend to find the same thing with CRTs generally (garish) and LCDs (natural), and between glossy photographs (garish) and matt finish (natural), and between a woman with make-up (garish and unhuman, like a doll off a factory production line) and one without (much more attractive). Yet, I know from working in the dim and distant past in a Photo Lab that most people prefer glossy photos, we've all heard so much from CRT die-hards in other newsgroups that I hesitate to risk introducing another flame war between the two technologies, and most women wear make-up, which they presumably wouldn't do if enough men expressed a preference against it.

I guess it takes all sorts ...

Reply to
Java Jive

Any standard VHS output S-Video - or only S-VHS machines? S-VHS machines sort of introduced this in the UK, although it's used by non recorders too now.

Philips once made an ordinary VHS with RGB out. Totally pointless.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well I would just like to thank everyone for their comments on this topic. It is always refreshing to start a topic and have so many participate. Looks like I shall have to hunt around for a small portable TV instead of using the PC monitor. Thanks everyone Kindest regards,

Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

I'd say a 'small portable TV' is less likely to have a VGA input. Keep an eye on CPC, Aldi, etc for suitable ones at a good price.

I have a 19" DGM bought from CPC for a bargain price - about the same as a PC monitor - which lives above the workbench. Fed off a VGA DA with the computer output - handy for circuit diagrams etc. Or as a TV, or test monitor when fixing things. It was cheap because it only has an analogue tuner. But works OK otherwise.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's one recently posted in uk.adverts.computer, £50 asking price, has Freeview and takes a variety of inputs.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

If you don't mind having a CRT they regularly appear on Freegle / Freecycle.

For nothing.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ