central heating question

Hi, I have a gas combi boiler, my latest bill was £180, that's for a couple who live in a 1920s semi-detached 3 bedroom house, we have the heating on from 4.30 am - 8.30 am and 17.00 pm - 23.00 pm mon to fri and on all weekend just about, we also have a bath every night, but do not cook with gas, now I thought the bill was a little steep, I want to try and lower my bill, will it work out cheaper to turn the heating down but have the heating on all the time, also will it work out cheaper to turn the radiators down to a lower setting, and the spare room radiator completely off. any help will be great.

Regards Keith

Reply to
Keith Hampson

There are many ways to save money on heating.

Some suggestions that are in no particular order are:-

1 Loft insulation (or more of it if it is less than 9 inch deep) 2 Cavity wall insulation (1920's house may not have a cavity wall) 3 Fitting thermostatic valves on your radiators (not on all rads, there should be one rad without TRVs that is in the room your room stat is located) 4 Fit a room stat if you do not have one 5 Turning radiators off in unused rooms (or to the frost setting if you have TRVs) 6 Keeping doors closed between rooms. eg your kitchen is usually colder than your living room (see Note 1) 7 Draft proofing. 8 Bath together (not really about cost but for fun) 9 Google for "energy saving"

Adam

Note 1 If you have a cat then this is about as realistic as fitting cavity wall insulation in a non cavity wall.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Have your wondered if you need heating for all those hours 4.30 am seem a little early & 23.00 a little late. Also does your system have a room thermostat? if not fit one to control the temp & reduce the amount of gas used.

Regards, Chris

Reply to
Chris Ives