Central heating boiler pump help please

Hi all, just recently the central heating in our house stopped working. It would appear that the pump is acting up, as the boiler (Glowworm Ultimate 50BF) still heats the hot water, and the room temperature thermostat still 'clicks' when it is turned. The pump, however was red hot to the touch. One of my neighbours is a young chap who works for British Gas, so he came in to have a look. By this time, I had turned the boiler off and the thermostat down, and the pump had cooled down too. When he came in, he gave the pump a clout with a rubber mallet, and turned up the flow rate to max (I couldn't see this, as it was on the reverse side of the pump). Lo and behold, the heating started working again. However, the other night there was a horrible smell of burning electrical components, so I turned everything off. The pump is a Commander 'S' SMC, and the neighbour reckons it's about 25 years old. The problem is, apparently the size of the bore. He brought around a new pump to replace the old one, but the bore on the old one is about 1", whereas the new one is probably metric 12mm or similar. Question is - is it possible to get either a new pump with the old size bore, or could I get reducers to change to the new pump's bore? Needless to say, the pump is in an awkward position, and would mean the removal of kitchen cupboards to replace it.The old pump has a valve on either side, by the way. Any help, thoughts etc. greatly appreciated! Regards John

Reply to
John Orrett

Hello :o) Imperial and metric piping can be joined, but an adaptor is needed for some sizes, depending on the type of joint and connector used. I know there are Imperial to Metric Compression joint adaptors available,

3/4" - 15mm cost should be under a £1.

A local plumbers merchant should be able to help you out :O)

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

/me staggers away, overcome with amazement!

Reply to
EricP

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!! :o)

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

Can't you come round with your monkey wrench? I'll put the kettle on and provide the biscuits! John

Reply to
John Orrett

One day, I just might be qualified to do that!...

Reply to
Vødkäjéllÿ

Ah well, off to the plumbers then :o)

Reply to