Central Heating

I've recently switched it to "Hot Water Only" but the radiators still heat up. I'm sure you've had this one before and I *have* Googled for it. Any ideas?

TIA Ian

Reply to
No Idea

Stuck valve. Welded-together switch contacts in the controller. Wife who really doesn't think it is warm enough yet, so sneaks a quick burst of central heating when you aren't looking...

Reply to
Palindr☻me

lol, I bet it's the last one! :-)

Reply to
Vodkajelly

It usually is round here. I turn to water only, she switches it back. I open windows, she closes them. I want the lighter duvet, she wants the heavier. Is thermal incompatibility grounds for divorce?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

If it was then I expect almost all the marriages would be dissolving! :-)

Reply to
Vodkajelly

Not divorce, just a shed in the back garden - well equipped of course!

Kratos

Reply to
kratos

Even with motorised valves on both hot water and heating I get this.Radiators dont get very hot, and I have mentioned the problem to gas engineers and they said this is common.Reverse flow I think was the words used.

Reply to
Tab

Do all the radiators heat up or just those near the hot water cylinder? My central heating is off but the radiator next to the hot water cylinder still heats up with the hot water on. It is included in the same circuit as the cylinder.

Reply to
Stewart

All of them. Would it do any damage if I simply went round and screwed down the "thingy" on each radiator?

Reply to
No Idea

I would shut them all down except the one nearest the hot water cylinder and see what happens. Even if you shut them all off the water should still circulate and at the worst the pump would just pump away to no effect. Normally the boiler is activated by the pump and its own thermostat. The thermostat in the hot water cylinder should bring on the pump and so the boiler.

Reply to
Stewart

"> All of them. Would it do any damage if I simply went round and screwed

I turn all radiators off in hot weather without any problems. Still need them on just now in my part of the country.

Reply to
Tab

It will upset the balancing if you screw down the wrong "thingy"!! On one end there should be a valve WITHOUT a handwheel called a lock shield valve (LSV) which should only be adjusted only during balancing. You can turn the other end off with no problems. Reading the FAQ should help you to understand what's going on

Phil