Cable extension for an Iron

Hi, Electrical advice needed please.

The lead on our iron isn't long enough to reach from the socket outlet to the ironing board. (and no I can't move the ironing board any closer!!!!)

Can I use a 13 amp extension lead (i have been told that these can heat up due to the amount of power used by an iron) or should I remove the existing lead and replace it with a longer length of cable (if so what is the correct cable to purchase).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
Brian Mills

Yes you can use an extension lead. Make sure it is a 13A extension lead and use it uncoiled, if it comes on a reel. An iron will typically use

10A, well within the rating of a 13A lead.

You could replace the lead - but an extension lead will be quite acceptable. You should examine the existing lead every time the iron is used, looking for wear and damage. If such damage exists, then you could replace the lead with a longer lead at that time.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Irons use a special cable. It is high temperature rubber so it doesn't melt if it touches the sole plate, but in order to prevent the rubber snagging on the cloths you are ironing, it has a cotten covering.

Sue already answered your other points.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel