Boiler ventilation

Hi - Boiler engineer said that my boiler needs better ventilation.At some point the front door,which had some sort of vent, was changed to a d/g one(boiler's in the entrance hall) He told me he could install one through the cavity wall for £120.Only trouble is he's let me down twice - 2 mornings off work :( I want to do it myself now,I've looked in the Screwfix catalogue but can't find what the plumber described to me. He said it was a vent that went straight throught the wall and was "Easy to do" - so easy he hasn't turned up! Anyone any idea what I can use and who stocks them? ( for a Jerry built

1980's house with cavity wall)

Thanks,

Trevor P.

Reply to
Trevor

Look in your boiler instructions for the vent area required. You probably want an airbrick about the size of two brick faces (e.g. 2 x 13873 interlocked), a through cavity sleeve (they don't seem to do one big enough, but 14777 is an example of a smaller one), and a decorative grille for the inside, which must _not_ be closable as it's required ventilation for a gas appliance. I would suggest fitting it near the appliance, as there will be a cold draft from it to the appliance when operating, and you don't want this going all across the hallway.

You would probably do better going along to a large builders merchant. You can buy one piece airbricks of the right size, with integral cavity sleeve. If you buy a plastic one, you might as well go for one where the outer grill can be removed for cleaning out cobwebs (that screwfix one doesn't look like it can).

Another option if you have a well ventilated sub-floor is to put a grille in the floor, and allow the boiler to draw air from under that. Again, the grille must not be closable. I did this for a gas fire many years ago.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks Andrew - the through cavity sleeve looks ideal,I'll got to the builders merchants for one.

Cheers again,

Reply to
Trevor