Best method to renovate roof bargeboard/facings

I shall strip and repaint my house bargeboards and side boards. These were originally painted white using oil based primer/under/topcoat paint but may have been over painted using white acrylic. The paint is now cracking and flaking so a complete strip is the answer. Considering I will be up a ladder what is the best order of alternatives:

Burn/scrape it off using a 1kW heat gun? Strip it with Nitromors paint stripper? Abraid it off with a drum sander?

Beemer

Reply to
Beemer

I would try the hot air gun to see whether it is OK, if there is an oil based paint underneath it should work.

Just done a bit myself and had a large dust sheet over plants!

Reply to
Colin Jackson

| > Burn/scrape it off using a 1kW heat gun? | > Strip it with Nitromors paint stripper? | > Abraid it off with a drum sander? | >

| > Beemer | >

Colin,

Do you know if acrylic (water based) paint will also similarly melt?

Beemer

Reply to
Beemer

Beemer,

Nice to see you're still busy! To answer your question, Nitromors will not work on acrylic but if you are sure that the original coatings were oil based, then heat certainly will and the best tool is a gas blow torch with the correct nozzle.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G