How to finish interior plywood roof panelling?

I've just moved house and have inherited a partially finished loft/ attic space that in which the interior is clad with large sheets of unfinished plywood (nailed to the rafters). In general the build quality is very good - many joints are almost perfectly smooth and will require only minor filling and sanding. However, some of the joins between sheets are not perfectly flat, with one sheet maybe about 1mm raised above the adjacent sheet. What is the correct way of smoothing this join - I have an electric sander, but this seems too slow an approach. What should I do?

Second question is how best to finish the plywood. Ultimately I want the loft space to have an off-white painted finish. One solution is to line the plywood with plasterboard, skim plaster and then paint. However, this seems an expensive route to take and also largely pointless given the good quality of the plywood finish. I understand it is not possible to plaster direct on plywood due to flexing and cracking.

Is it sufficient to paint directly on the plywood? I understand that I need a good quality alkyl-based primer to put on the plywood before painting, and then a couple of coats of latex paint. Is this correct? Will I need to use a textured paint to hide any residual grain or joints in the wood, or is primer and regular latex sufficient?

Any tips, tricks and advice would be much appreciated!

Paul

Reply to
pehowland

sand, fill, and shove lining paper over it, then paint.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you know what the status of the insulation is, though? Is there anything behind the plywood? Would be worth having a looksee if you don't know, as it would be well worth rectifying before you do anything else.

Bear in mind that if the seller was just trying to get the place into some semblance of order before selling, he may have omitted the insulation to save installation costs.

David

Reply to
Lobster

No, insulation is fine. House is only 4 years old.

Reply to
pehowland

Are you assuming it must be fine because the property is only 4 years old, though? You haven't provided details of this loft space, but if this is a part conversion done by the owner, it could have originally been a 'cold-roof' construction, ie insulation would have been immediately above the 1st floor ceiling (ie below the floor of the loft space) which is not where you want it now....

David

Reply to
Lobster

Is there also a question of ventilation for the roof woodwork? Phil

Reply to
Phil B

Normally there will be eaves vents and a path over the insulation top..a gap between the roof and the insulation..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher