Advise on light switch in toilet

Hi

we have a separate 3' x 6' toilet room and the light switch is just inside the door. the electrician who is doing the bathroom wiring says that the switch should be outside the toilet or a pull cord switch can be inside.

i would like to leave the switch were it is.

any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Reply to
Mark D. Smith

Is it possible to reach the light switch on the wall at the same time as having your hand in water in a wash basin?

Reply to
Codswallop

A most unlikely way of electrocution. It is rooms where the whole body is wet (ie bathrooms) that have special requirments for switches.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Are you now 'knocking through' so the bath, basin and toilet will be in one room? If yes the Sparky is correct, if you are leaving as two rooms, and your 3' x 6' room ONLY houses a toilet then he is incorrect.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

You mean I suffered a pull cord in my bog for 25 years because the damn builders didn't know their jobs!

It was right against the wall in front of the opening door. It got smashed umpteen times by the closing door and I even bought pull cord knobs in bulk, (well two or three), to routinely replace the broken ones.

Reply to
EricP

See reply above.

Mark

Reply to
Mark D. Smith

No

the bathroom is completly seperate and has a pull cord for the 8 spot lamps.

on a personal note i hate toilets in bathrooms!

Mark

Reply to
Mark D. Smith

There's no requirement that the switch be out of reach from a wash basin.

Having said that, I have on occasion fitted pull-cord switches where they aren't strictly required, such as for the lighting over a kitchen sink where you might expect the operator to have wet hands.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 08:31:14 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named "Mark D. Smith" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Better than in the dining room.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

One rented house I lived in had the bathroom and toilet in the kitchen. Or should that be the other way round.

Reply to
malc