Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

joist crack repair question
hoping someone can answer this. i have a few 2x10 joists that have horizontal cracks. each joist has only one crack. they all appear to originate from where the nails went in to secure the joist to...
6
6

Opinions please on pine flooring in a bathroom
Autumn, I have had a wood floor in a bathroom, and it was fine, but be sure you don't put any rugs or bathmats down and leave them there. The trapped moisture will damage the floor.
8
8

Low cost insulation job
How cold is winter? How much do you want to spend? Foil/bubble sheet may be sufficient. They do make insulation for metal buildings, but most is designed to be isntalled when the building is...
8
8

Wood burning Stove
I want install a wood burning stove. Can I hook up the wood burning stove to a chimney that is hooked up to a working furnance? I could use all the help out there. Thank-you
16
16

Drywall texturing question
Andy asks: I have just taped and bedded a new room in my attic. Eventually, I will hire a professional to come in and "orange peel" texture it to match the rest of the house. I cannot do it well...
8
8

question about rebuilding a brick chimney
My dad hired a tuckpointer to rebuild a brick chimney, maybe a little larger than typical residential as it services a small multi-unit building built in the 1920's. The width on all sides is 4 bricks...
24
24

remove masking tape from vinyl siding?
I put some masking tape on some vinyl siding so I could paint the trim. Got sick, chemo radiation etc and now it has hardened on the siding. Any ideas how to remove it? Thanks, paul
8
8

where to buy prismatic rectangular wraparound flourescent lens 48" x 10" for older 2 t12 non-electronic ballast unit?
where to buy prismatic rectangular wraparound flourescent lens 48" x 10" for older 2 t12 non-electronic ballast unit? Can't find anything in local home depot, orchard supply, lamp stores so far...
8
8

Floor Screed laying - water content
What will be the penalty to pay if adding a bit more water to the screed mix to make it more workable? When passing a straight edge between screeds it tends to drag some of the material and leaves...
6
6

split ac unit install question
not sure if this is the right forum. i'm planning on installing a "split" air conditioning and heating unit in my attached 2 car garage (presently insulated but unconditioned/unheated). the side i'd...
6
6

How to Hang large extension ladder on Garage Wall?
Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around 50lbs +) on a garage wall which is sheet rock. The only thing I...
8
8

Population growth keeps emptying the glass
Water shortages get potentially worse each season due to mindless population growth and the newer factor of anthropogenic global warming. The recent southern California fires are evidence of an...

Two Garage Doors Into One?
Looked at a for sale home that has been on the market for a long while. After gaining access I can see why. One reason is the two separate garage doors in the attached double garage. The steps inside...
16
16

oil painting photo
Dear Sir, There are a lot of specialized China oil painting artists who serve you in Xiamen of china in China Wholesale reproduction Oil Painting Studio. We have long years' working reproduction oil...

ok without ceiling joists?
Hi, I'm a DIYer that's making plans to build a wood working shed in my backyard. I do woodworking as a hobby but I've never done any construction such as this. The workshop is going to be 16x24. I...
40
40