Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

wheelchair ramp
I need a temporary wheelchair ramp to allow an occasionally visiting niece to get in my slightly raised cottage.I saw one at harbor Freight which requires 3/4" thick plywood..will need 36" width.I...
4
4

Web site with Structural Steel Tables
I am looking for a Web site with Structural Steel Tables, that list properties of channels, angles, beams etc and properties like weight, thicks, etc. Any ideas. thanks.
2
2

Infrared Thermometer for finding energy leaks
I'm not sure this is practical for a DIY or home owner. But, here is my question. Does anyone know of a inexpensive ( under $100) Infrared Thermometer that could be used to find areas on a house where...

Coffered Ceiling question
I am putting in a coffered ceiling in my dining room as part of a major remodel. The old ceiling is already down and once I install the new recessed lighting frame-in kits, I will be ready to...
4
4

Building sites in West California
Lots of houses burned down due to the brush/tree fires common, but magnified, by drier weather and excessive wind this year. Not allowing to burn previous years fires builds up more tinder for the...

cordless drill batteries - Milwaukee recall
If anyone missed it. I was over at Harbor Freight and was checking the recalls on their tools. One safety recall was for Milwaukee 14.4 v and 18 v NiCd battery packs manufactured between Sept 1999 and...
2
2

Need a good cheap hand-held drill guide (mostly for 90° drilling)
I mostly need something to guide my handheld drill when I need to make holes perfectly perpendicular to the wood surface. I found this guy: does angles, though it's unclear how rigid it is. My needs...
18
18

FA Dry Stone Walling manual masonry work
Dry Stone Walling ,A Practical Conservation Handbook ,no author, format 120 pages. One of only two dry stone walling craft manuals I know of this is by far the best,packed with instructional...

Schon quick clic wood flooring
Hi, Does anyone have any opinions on this product? Chris
4
4

cat urine smell in subfloor
How do I remove caty urine smell from plywood subfloor? My thought is to douse it with Nature's Miracle then paint it with Kilz. I really do not want to remove the plywood. Thanks, David
4
4

Basement floor cement
Three months ago I had my drains replaced under the basement. The plumber broke the basement floor, laid new pipes and then replaced the broken part of the floor with cement. Since then, I've been...
12
12

deck waterproofing and ventilation
Hi all: I'm renovating a heritage house in Victoria BC and repairing an exterior stair and deck/landing over an insulated space. The inspector says I must treat the deck like a roof, with...

concrete blocks v/s clay bricks
Hi, I am building my house in India and the choices I have for the walls are either clay bricks or Concrete blocks. Concrete blocks are much cheaper , can someone tell me which is a better option Meen
18
18

Graffiti on my road
Someone thought it a neat idea to do something my little town regards as unheard of. They painted swears in blue paint in several places. The road crew for the town thought it a good idea to paint...
28
28

Flaking ceiling paint
Good evening. When I bought my house twelve years ago, the seller had hired the low-bid contractor to "freshen" things up. He freshened the living room by spraying paint on the ceiling, apparently...
4
4