Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

40 gal just not enough: Replacing water heater for 2400 sq home. Family of 2 adults + 2 children
Ok, our 40 gal gas water heater is failing. About 10 years old, which I hear is ok. But every time I talk to someone about their 40 gal water heater, they all complain that they run out of hot water...
12 years ago 50

P2R phillips bit -- what is it?
Found these among my 1/4-inch driver bits. Tried to use them for #2 phillips screws and snapped off a couple. What are these for? Thanks, FBt on 4/7/2008 10:45 AM Esther & Fester Bestertester said the...
12 years ago 58

What do you call
the spring loaded L-shaped pin that holds the ramp/door of a utility trailer up? I need to order some, but don't have a name to search by. TIA Dan S. Dan S. brought next idea : Spring latch - I...
12 years ago 90

Skirt on the house
Have been putting this off for 2 years now. Getting a bit expensive due to heating and AC bills. The house has no skirt around the pier and beam perimeter. Getting bids now over the next week or 2...
12 years ago 20

Tarmac/Asphalt difference?
Anyone know what is the difference between tarmac and asphalt? For most purposes, none... What kind of information are you looking for? Both are 'hydrocarbon' based substances mixed with stone...
12 years ago 10

Re-Roofing a Geodesic Dome
I am working on a Geodesic Dome Re-Roof. I did the construction several years ago to 2 attached buildings. (both vented with cora ridge and doing fine) The Geodesic Dome is nasty.....There is no...
12 years ago 8

DIY concrete mixer motor?
I'm thinking about building a homemade rig for small batch concrete jobs- something that would rotate a 5-gallon bucket would be fine (nice and compact, and if needed I can just dump the bucket...
12 years ago 4

Beam size
I would like to open up a basement by removing a 2x6 stud wall and replace it with a wood laminated beam ( 2x10's or 12's) where can I get some info on the proper size and min opening between...
12 years ago 20

Concrete driveway saga continues
No bluster. But just today after 20 e-mails and a dozen phone calls did they finally say they were coming to look it over. It is 4:30PM CST and still no show. I cancelled my appointments with my...
12 years ago 6

Best Floor Insulation?
When I built my house I insulated the the floor with R19 fiberglass batts. Rodents have - over the years - torn must of it down. I want to insulate once more and never again after that. What would be...
12 years ago 44

Thinset mortar bed thickness
Hi, I'm refacing my brick fireplace with tile and part of the project involves tileing the hearth area in front of ( approx 5' x 2'). The hearth had set on a concrete slab and was raised 3...
12 years ago 2

Rafter ties (metal straps)
Here is a question I get asked alot, and I am not sure of the answer. We build houses in High Wind Zones often, largely on the Jersey shore. We frequently need to strap the peaks and the rafters to...
12 years ago 26

Digging out crawl space - Power tools?
The crawl space in my 80 year old house has about a foot of space in it. I need to dig it out so I can get in there and do some work. Are there any power tools or equipment which I can rent which will...
12 years ago 78

Steel Structure
Am designing a steel structure. Need a bit of help from someone in the know. Jim Ball What kind of help? How you expect to design a structure when you are (self admitadly) unqualified is a bit odd......
12 years ago 10

Rewiring a Hardwired Smoke Detector WITH THE POWER ON
I have a hardwired smoke detector that is old and outdated, that I'd like to switch with a new unit. The only problem is that I can't shut off the power to the alarm before I disconnect it and...
12 years ago 8