Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Heat Pump or Ground Source Heat Pump?
Since I live just north of Seattle, the winter temperature rarely dips below forty degrees. And - since ground source heat pumps are more expensive then regular heat pumps would it make more sense to...
12 years ago 6

Need Construction Company Name
Hi All, I m new member of this group. I m opening my new construction company so need u r help to name it. ---Thanks in Advance How about... Thanks in Advance Construction, Inc. R Abbreviate...
12 years ago 14

foundations
Im trying to set up a powerpoint presentation on the subject of setting out foundations .I have already started but finding it hard to find diagrams of profiles and setting out procedures does anyone...
12 years ago 1

Burn-out
Need some seasoned veteran response. My daughter's companion/boyfriend contracts homebuilding for a living. A day or 2 ago, she told me about his latest project. He's doing fixer-upper on a...
12 years ago 3

Cement Tile
In searching all over the country (U.S.A.) for cement tile like I had seen in Europe and Latin American countries, I realized that it has not been made here since the 30's or 40's, ever since...
12 years ago 4

Nailing Board and Batten Siding Help Please
Most websites say to nail the boards in the centre only and the battens through the space between the boards. All the people I've seen put up board and batten nailed the boards on the edges, then...
12 years ago 2

flushometer v/s tank flush
Hi, I am building a new house and was wondering if someone has looked into different types of flushes and which works better , a flushometer or a standard tank based flush for WC. S I installed a...
12 years ago 1

Causes for Short Cycling AC
I have a 2000 sf home with a 4 ton Goodman installed. The unit is about 5 years old, straight AC, strip heat. This unit has never been what I hoped. The front of the house is considerably warmer than...
12 years ago 4

New House A/C
when should the A/C be turned on in a house under construction? there's painting still going on inside and lots of work to be done. It's mid 90's outside right now(and humid). Will the...
12 years ago 7

MiraTec question
Anybody have experience using MiraTec ? I was at Lowes today and saw it there. It seemed reasonably priced, so I wasn't sure if it was the same MiraTec engineered exterior trim found here were...
12 years ago 1

concrete slab
------------------------------------- I am pouring a 4" concrete slab (91'x60') over an existing slab inside a machine shop. Should I use a bond breaker or a bonding agent for this...
12 years ago 3

Standing Water in Footer Drain Tile
I am in the process of putting in a patio and small retaining walls in front of my walkout basement. I excavated 8" down from the floor of the basement for the patio, and exposed the top of the green...
12 years ago 1

what are best kind of boots for asphalt shingle roof?
I'm going to be doing some work on the roof and I'd like to know what kind of boots would give me the best grip Boots? On a hot day, boots can destroy the shingles. I always wear sneakers. If...
12 years ago 8

hot water dispenser
Any one use the under sink hot water dispensers, commonly known as In sink-erator, they also make disposals and such. What has been the life of the units? I installed one about 4 years ago, and now...
12 years ago 1

aggregate floor inside house
Our city was recently devastated by floods. We were very fortunate in that only our finished basement had water damage. We?re in the process of removing carpeting and assessing if there is damage to...
12 years ago 4