Latest threads in Building Constructionshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Double Pole Circuit Breaker Not working
I am not an electrician, but I thought I could figure this one out for myself, obviously not. I have a 35' fifth wheel travel trailer. It has a 20amp double pole circuit breaker. This breaker appears...
3
3

A Horrible Mess with a Construction Project
I bought a 10 acre lot roughly in the mid-west of California in 2001. It took almost a year to get my first appointment with the planners and 3 more years to work the permits through an overloaded and...
8
8

New Build Foundation Errors
I recently bought a new construction home in September of last year. I noticed recently that my 3rd car garage is supposed to be 8ft from door frame to door frame and is actually 6 ft. I noticed after...
9
9

Foundation question
I have a proposal to pour a stem wall footing ontop of an existing footing. The prior contractors who did the footing poured the foundation out of square and height.....some of it by 3" I was...
2
2

Sharing facilities and household appliances?
For my final thesis I'm reasearching about the potential of reduction of energy consumption in the residential sector, in particular by changing lifestyle and sharing spaces (meeting room,guest room,...
6
6

Adding bacteria to the septic tank
How does one know if its suitable and appropriate to use additive type bacteria to the septic tank via the drain system from the house? I "started" the septic bacteria with 2 large cans of yeast per...
5
5

UNIONS ON GAS PIPE (2023 Update)
I have never heard more different opinions on anything. Can you use unions to connect gas pipe? Or rather, is it LEGAL to use unions to connect gas pipe? Some say YEAH BUT HIDE THEM, some say NO WAY,...
10
10

Anticipating an addition
Planning to build a 3-season cabin in northern WI (sandy soil, 100' from a lake, weather extremes but no earthquakes). To spread the costs I'll get by with a sand point well and a privy at first, add...
8
8

Sub panel ground wire size ?
I'm going to put a subpanel in a garage. I'm going to run #4 copper off a 70 amp breaker for the hots and neutral. It's about 70 feet and #6 would probably do but I picked up a partial roll of #4...
12
12

Yearly Building/Real Estate Construction Statistics
Greetings: I am a graduate student working on a mathematical modeling project for my year end research work. I am interested in building and/or real estate construction statistics or data from...

Nail down hardwood florring parallel to floor joists
P.Ostal ------------------------------------- Hi all I have open-web engineered floor joists at 19.2" centre, and they run along the longer length of the living/dining room. I have 3/4" particle board...
3
3

Chinese drywall
Don't you guys ever learn? Buy American.
1
1

Attaching drywall to cement block through 2 inch foam insulation
Hello: I have a cement block basement that is insulated with 2" foam glued in place. To meet the building code, I must cover the foam with drywall. What methods, other than furring and expensive...
16
16

How do I wire a smoke alarm off a light fixture?
Anyone know of a dual sensor, hardwired, & interconnected (wireless) smoke alarm? Which sensor type is more likely to go off for nuisance alarms: the ion or photo sensor type? A main consideration is...
9
9

Rafter connection at structural ridge beam
------------------------------------- Question on the rafter connection at a structural ridge beam. Building is in WA state (Pierce county) Cathedral ceilings with 2x12 rafters are shown attached with...
2
2