plumbing question: aligning ball valve handle

Good morning.

I am replacing some old gate valves in my household plumbing with new ball valves. I am using valves with threaded fittings, and a union on the downstream side. My question is, how can I solder the threaded male fitting to the copper supply pipe, so that the valve handle will be lined up the way I want it after I tighten it onto the supply pipe? I need to tighten the valve until the joint stops leaking, and the handle is invariably not where I want it.

Thanks

-Mark

Reply to
Mark G.

Well, tighten it until it doesn't leak, and then tighten it a bit more so the valve is where you want it.

Reply to
marson

"marson" wrote

Sounds reasonable. It's just that the extra 1/2 to 3/4 turn past "tight" concerns me. :-o

-Mark

Reply to
Mark G.

It'll be fine. Look up next time you are in a big commercial building with exposed sprinkler pipes. Practically every joint has to be aligned like that.

Reply to
marson
  1. Keep tightening.
  2. use a union on both sides
  3. tighten the male adaptor into the ball valve, THEN solder it to the supply.

Steve Barker LT