Mounting 2 x 4 to block wall ?

what is pl construction adhesive ??

---------------------------------

i like pl construction adhesive more than liquid nails, i find it to be superior on masonry.

-c

Reply to
James

TapCons of the proper length. Easy to use, and incredible pull out strength.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I answered TapCons because you said it was solid concrete. In that case, TapCons would be the thing. BUT, if you have grouted cinderblock, use sleeve anchors. These are anchors that hold in soft masonry such as cinderblock and grouted cinderblock. Just look for the particular fastener labeled "sleeve anchor" and allow for the thickness of the board, and 2" penetration into the block, which would be 4" for a good fastener.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Duh, just another aside. If you use TapCons drill in the exact center, or on the edges where you will be drilling into cinderblock and not grout. If you have to drill into grout, use sleeve anchors.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Steve, and others:

It looks like Tapcons are ideal, if I have a solid wall. Yes , it is a cinder block wall. But, I have looked closely in my basement, and I can see concrete spillover at the top of the wall. So now, I think it has been poured solid. This cabin was built over 30 years ago, and I have forgotten some of the details.

I think that my best bet is to "assume" that this block wall was poured with concrete for reinforcement, and initially try drilling and using the Tapcon screws. If I see that it is not solid where I drill, then I could go with some type of toggle/ molly bolt, or the sleeve anchor, right ?

Thanks to Steve and to all others for the very nice comments and advice !! I have learned a lot from this group.

James

Reply to
James

that is good stuff.

Reply to
RickH

You'll know when you drill your first one. Many times, a mix of grout was almost slurry as compared to a real mix of concrete with aggregate. I repaired a ton of gates in Las Vegas where they used sandy grout instead of a concrete mix, and the sleeve anchors were the way to go. If the Tapcon is almost squeaky tight, that's what you want. If it is looser than that, just put a lot of tapcons, or maybe add a sleeve anchor at the top and middle of the two by.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB