Information required about the Sound Masking industry

Hi,

We are students doing a research on the Sound masking industry in the US for our project in Europe. The aim of the research is to know more about the sound masking industry, how it actually works. We are in the middle of the research and we happened to come across this newsgroup. I have a few questions which I would like to clarify about the sound masking industry.

1)How is a typical office project organised in the US? If I am the tenant/owner of the office, then do I hire a facility manager/property manager to oversee its construction? Does the facility manager then hire an acoustic consultant to see the acoustics of the office? Is it any different in Canada?

2)How is the decision to go for sound masking systems actually taken? Who decides which brand to choose?

3)If there is a public bidding process, how are the bidders invited, does the Acoustic consulatant already pre-selects the brands and the bidders?

4)Who actually installs the sound masking system, can it be a General electrical contractor or should it always be a A/V contractor.

5)What % of buildings are currently being build with the help of an acoustical consultant?

6) Does anyone have an idea of the exact costs required for sound masking. On most of the sound masking websites we see the cost to be typically around $1 per square foot. Is this correct. Does this take into account other costs like wiring costs, installation costs, etc.

7) Is Internet used as a medium for buying sound masking products?

I appreciate your answering the questions and spending your valuable time to do so.

Thank you very much.

Reply to
Algemene.Electriciteit