Heat tolerance of PVC Sch 40

Can anyone provide me with the heat range tolerance of Sch 40 PVC? I am considering using it as a temporary fix for my auto cooling system. Could it blow out or bend in such high temperatures?

Thanks, Tony D

Reply to
Tony

How about CPVC? For hot water. I would think the plastic would have problems with all the dry heat, and make it brittle. It may work for a day or two, but I would not want to guess where it can strand you...

Reply to
Bill

Am sure its available from ASTM specs. Am also sure the burst pressure is directly related to the temperature of both the liquid it carries and the temperature of the surrounding environment. Dave

Reply to
Dave

Andy writes: Do an experiment...

Heat up a pot of water on the stove to boiling.

Put a length of PVC in it, six inches or so, and let it sit in the boiling water for a couple minutes..

Wearing gloves, fish out the PVC and see how flexible it is....

If it is easy to bend, there will definitely be a problem.....

Water in an auto cooling system is very close to boiling...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
AndyS

In a normal automotive cooling system, its ABOVE regular boiling point (212 oF)

The pressure/antifreeze in the system allows the coolant to run higher w/o boiling

Reply to
Rudy

As a further experiment, put the same PVC in the same EXTERNAL environment under the hood in the proximity its intended to be placed. Be sure to purposely be in stop and go, and, stop and park traffic.

Its my contention such a repeated environment may "dry" out the PVC leading to possible rupture. Dave

Reply to
Dave