Finishing a basement: I want to paint the walls BEFORE installing doors and trim

I'm finishing my basement and I've primed all of my walls. I was planning on completing the painting of the walls first - then painting doors and trim and installing them. I thought this would save time as I don't have to worry so much about masking everything and I can spray just about everything.

This seems to go against what I've seen done. What is the problem with my approach?

Reply to
iklein99

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.c om:

If you are doing the work yourself, no problem. If you are paying someone to do it, remember that as soon as paint touches the drywall you have accepted the work as is. If there is anything wrong with the framing or fit you are making more work for yourself having to go back and repair and repaint the problem sections.

Actually, the reason paint goes after doors and trim is that usually the contractor that is doing the walls and trim is scheduled and done before the painting contractor is just for that reason.

Also, if there are no weird little corners, etc., given a good brush I cut in the trim without masking, probably just as fast as you can after you spent all that time masking. If I have to, I can also mask a door frame in less than five minutes, so it's all pretty much a wash for me. If you are doing the work - "Do what you wanna do!"

** Posted from
**
Reply to
tim

Yes, always spray before installing trim. T

Reply to
TonyG

g2000hsc.googlegroups.c

Thanks! Doing the work myself. DOn't mind touching up afterward.

Thanks!

Reply to
MrCessna