Doorbell always uses electricity!

They dont have any transformer that uses power all the time.

Wrong. It always refers to what you listed above.

Reply to
Rod Speed

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: > the outlet strip likely has a power on light of some sort wasting

But not when it's off :) And that power is probably returned manyfold by virtue of the fact that the light reminds you that the other things plugged in are continuing to use power, so you turn it off sooner.

In any case, mostly the power-on light is a switch with something like a built-in NE-2 (1/17 watt) bulb. No big deal.

It's true. But we need to maintain a sense of proportionality. A single person running central air sucks as much power (3-20KW) as

150,000 outlet strip indicator lights. A single load of clothes in an electric dryer uses as much power (6KWH) as 12 outlet strip indicator lights do in a year. So while we don't want to completely ignore the small stuff, the bulk of our effort needs to be reducing the use of those power hogs.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

You just reminded me of the doorbell at "Neighborhood Bike Works", AKA "The Bike Church". That outfit uses some space at a church.

There is a sign sying, as best as I remember: "Pull brake lever to ring doorbell".

They have a handlebar mounted onto something or other close to the handrail for the stairway for that offbeat entrance into the church complex. The brake lever is connected to a brake cable, that is routed through a small diameter hole in the exterior wall. Apparently, the other end of the brake cable pulls the lever on a bicycle bell that is suitably mounted.

Don Klipstein

Raising the frequency also is easier to rectify and filter the sine wave out, to give DC voltage.

Reply to
Craig M

The ones I mentioned in this thread are actual measurements. I have a watt meter!

Don Klipstein

My favorite doorbell buttons:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas
[snip]

Possible with any wall-wart you add a switch to. Making it automatic would be tricky, without power to turn it back on.

That's one of the many varieties of "always" that are strangely non-inclusive. Maybe you've never heard of "switching regulators", but I have a lot.

The AC-to-AC converter allows a smaller, lighter transformer (which I expect draws less power with 0 load).. Perhaps you mistake "low power" for "no power". That sort of mistake is very common. [snip]

Reply to
Sam E

And if I can reduce that by 60-75% or so with 2-3 power strips?

Many apartment buildings forbid outdoor clothes drying. If I was very severely frugal in such places, I would use indoor clotheslines when temperature and humidity are favorable for such.

Thankfully I have yet to experience having any of my clothes dried in an electric clothes dryer at age well into the 40's. My experience is that clothes driers got their heat from natural gas - although in one apartment building I lived in, with electric stoves as opposed to gas ones, the driers had a "fuel oil" odor.

Also consider that in the metro areas of NYC, Philadelphia and Chicago, most residential electricity costs more like 14 cents per KWH. And in the portion of the Philly area served by what was formerly PECO, during a defined summer period monthly consumption past 500 or 600 or whatever KWH gets billed at more like 18 cents per KWH.

(From memory - I did not actually drag into my view my electric bill for last August. I will do so if my figures from my memory are disputed.)

Getting aggressive against "idling load" can somewhat easily reduce power consumption by close to 10 KWH per month, plus another 2, maybe even

3 KWH per month during air conditioning season. At 18 cents or even if it is 16 cents per KWH in most of the Philly area for electricity consumption past 500-600 KWH per month during air conditioning season, I see a couple bucks per month in savings. At other times of the year, I see $1.25-$1.50 per month in savings from being aggressive against "phantom load" in/near Philly, NYC and Chicago.

Don Klipstein

Yes, and there's also less iron in a high-frequency transformer, making it lighter.

BTW, I have a new USB hub with a 5V2.1A wall wart that's MUCH lighter than the "brick" we would have had once.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I find that highly overrated. I even find extrapolation from burnouts of incandescent lightbulbs - disproportionately upon cold start. However, incandescent lightbulbs that have aged into a condition unable to survive a cold start have their remaining hours already numbered (in lower double digits), and the main relevant filament failure mode progresses at a rate that accelerates worse than exponentially!

Mine is constantly powered so far since I have yet to powerstrip it (and my TV). I have yet to notice it being updated for anything since 1 hour after I first successfully used it!

I oughtta get off my butt and get a power strip for my TV and my DTV box!

Don Klipstein

I already do that.

I have yet to live where dryer exhaust lines spend any significant time being clogged, and I have yet to know anyone allowing me to detect such clogs!

I agree here - mainly for the fridge!

Spending a thousand dollars worth of time and supplies

Spending $20-$30 in a high-spending-in-this-area-year is actually frugal. If that is insane, then I am proudly insane!

But my contention is that "phantom loads" consist highly of items drawing 1/2 watt, 1 watt, 2 watts, and in one instance 4-5 watts (my computer when "off"), and in another instance 10-11 watts when off (my TV).

I see sanity rather than insanity to buy a couple power strips to chip down electric bill by $2 per month!

I also see how such contention of mine does not dispute need to reduce energy consumption in "more major" areas!

Don Klipstein

Did not the idea suggested here involve "Romex" and an appropriate v120V-rated pushbutton switch?

Savings can easily amount to $1.50-$2 per year. Deepending on value of labor to accomplish such, possibly even in a family's "entertainment buidget", at least some families can find such a project to be more worthwhile than earning money to put into "safer" investments/savings.

Don Klipstein

Sam E wrote

Makes a lot more sense to use a modern switchmode wallwart instead.

I meant to say 'also' not 'always'. I dont proof read my posts.

Fraid so.

You dont know they are AC to AC.

I never said anything about no power.

There is no mistake except with the use of the word always.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I surely got a positive impression from the "Bike Church" in that area! Use human power to burn off a few of the exxcessive calories that Americans usually take in!

That I surely agree with!

Do unto others what you want others to do unto you - the "Golden Rule"! Whether you consider that originated by an embodiment of the Lord of All Gods or by a "mere major prophet" (my words) or by someone who merely managed to "channel The Force" about 2,000 years ago...

I like the non-worded doormats.

I also like the sign in the window of the front door (or posted on the front door if the front door lacks a window and is owned by a landlord and permitted by the landlord): NEVER MIND THE DOG - BEWARE OF OWNER! Such as owner of the dog, or owner of defensive weapon should dogs only be allowed on basis of "guide animals". The sign along that route usually has a picture of close-range view down-the-barrel view of a large caliber revolver. I do note that the "owner in question" often carries a handgun other than a revolver, so I consider merely carrying a handgun of any kind negates "any grounds of false advertising" on basis of mechanism or caliber size of whatever sidearm is carried by the "owner" that warns that a handgun is warned against in a posting!

I would still want my doormat to, if anything as to what it says, "Please wipe your shoes here"! Sign at eye level on the front door should say where permissible, "Never Mind The Dog - Beware Of Owner!", along with a picture of down-the-barrel view of a handgun. Otherwise, have a sign saying "Beware Of Dog" - preferably with a "Photoshopped" "somewhat reasonable" image of your dog (or the one you don't actually have) causing grievous injury to someone, preferably in a way likely to result in a hospital admission and days in the Intensive Care Unit!

Don Klipstein

I followed such link and my results were:

"There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page."

Don Klipstein

Sometimes true, usually less than true since a power strip light consumes often around 1/4 watt. Merely 80,000 of such "lighted power strips" (my words) amounts to high end of your range for "central air".

Also consider that "air conditioning" by most who have such is in a minority of each year.

And furthermore, when "phantom loads" consume several watts, during air conditioning season the A/C burden is increased by a few watts.

- Don Klipstein (don@misty,com)

Reply to
Don Klipstein

I have quite an assortment of "wall warts" and other assorted power supplies for devices that have been discarded over the years.

All of them work. I tested 19 of them for idle current draw on a digital meter that reeds to the closes 0.01 amp.

6 of the 19 registered no parasitic draw at all, and the rest varied from .02 to .06 amps

Additionally:

My PC draws .05A The charger for my Craftsman battery drill draws 0.05A

Both battery chargers for nicads / nimh batteries showed no idle current at all.

A 200watt Variac shows no draw at all.

Reply to
clare

terry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z1g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

I've frequently thought about how stupid it is that in the winter we heat homes, have this box inside that takes that heated air and makes it cold and loses that cold because of the heated air around it that used to be cold air.

Probably cost a fortune to make refrigs that could use piped in air from outside. And the further south you are the longer the ROI breakeven.

Reply to
Red Green

The "Switcher" can refer to not only a DC voltage regulator, but also to circuitry operating a greatly smaller transformer that may require voltage regulation means.

"Switcher"/"Switchmode" even applies to high frequency usage of a miniaturized high frequency gransformer than can weigh close to or even under 1/4 ounce, along with voltage regulation *that in more-crude form* can be merely an analogue of a thermostat, as in there is an "output filter capacitor" AKA "smoothing capacitor", and the switchmode circuitry in question is "on" when the output voltage is "insufficient/low" and "off" when the outputv voltage "exceeds target by whatever margin".

Don Klipstein

USA "customs" is supposed to enforce rules as ro what is allowed to be imported into USA.

The "Customs and Border Protection" USA government agency is now within the recently created "Department Of Homeland Security".

In pre-9/11 times, USA had passport checkings governed by "Department of State", which was one of the 4 "Cabinet Level Departments" of the "Executive Branch" of USA Federal government back when the Constitution and the "Bill Of Rights (earlier Amendments to USA's Constitution) took effect! Nowadays, how many "Cabinet Level Departments" does USA have? Close to

15? I would want 8! Even that is double what existed in USA in earlier days/years of existence of what was longer ago called the "Department Of War"!

Don Klipstein