concrete pavers 12" x 12" Question Again!

Ok I took everone advise about the gravel base. I am going to do that for sure. Now another question I had was should I leave a bit of a space between the blocks when I lay them and sweep and vibrate in some Jointing sand? What would be a good space to leave, 1/8" to 1/4"? Also I have seen that most of the sites I have looked up say to go a max of

1 1/2" of sand above the gravel base, is 1 " good enough?
Reply to
bdeditch

I do not know how much you need, and if it easier to get sand for you, but limestone screeeding is a better base. After getting wet and after some time , it will harden to a concrete-like structure. And the pH does not permit anything to grow in it like weeds, grass, moss. Sand goes into the cracks, but not before. Limestone screeding can be purhased in small bags just like sand, or large quantities. I used it in a gap anywhere form 0 to

1-1/4" alongside my house a couple years ago and its like solid ground now, a solid slab. Like a very long slice of ice cream. I am not certain when "gravel" is needed, but maybe for driveways, and maybe for any number of reasons. There are names for each and every item, and stds. in inches, with minimums that have to be folllowed, if a specific goal is desired. Not to mention that sand may filter into gravel for years to come. However I am certainly not knowledgable on this subject.
Reply to
bent