Battries

I have a new Skil battery drill, new in that I have used it 4 times being retired, but old in having it for a couple years.

As a retired contractor having used Skil for 40 years and not wearing them out, this is a piece of junk. OK rant complete.

The charger will not charge. Why buy another charger when the last one lasted 4 charges and they want almost as much as a new drill assembly. If I replace it, it sure won't be a Skill. It is 12 volt output but it says on it 12 volt AC (????) Huh? I have never checked but the output to a car charger is DC isn't it? Or is it ac and the battery converts it? I haven't tried but I have been thinking of putting a 12V trickle charger on the drill battery to see what happens. Thought I would put it out into the yard in case the damn thing blows up, I wouldn't want to burn the shop down would I?

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Chances are your Skil uses NiCad or NiMH cells in the battery. You car uses a Lead Acid battery. The different battery chemistry needs different charger schemes and using the wrong charger could indeed burn down your shop - after burning up the battery.

Reply to
CWatters

That's what I figured.

"CWatters" wrote in message news:45c79ba7$0$8744$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...