I am running new a/c, heating ducting, I need help with duct size

I am replacing the ducting to my 3 tonn a/c heating unit, would running individual 6 inch ducts to each room be better than running one 8 inch duct with offshoots to each room. thank you
Reply to
pink sky girl
Without knowing much  else about your system, I would say that in general terms multiple 6" square ducts are moving more air than a single 8" square, obviously, and having individual ducts into rooms will enable zoning (i.e. individual climate control of rooms) which is a very nice feature. So, to say nothing of the fact that with more ductwork you will have more duct sealing to worry about and less space for everything else, I would say it's great to have individual 6" ducts into rooms is better than one 8" with branches.
Even though I think your 8" is actually 8"x14" (as needed to move aprox. 1000 to 1200 cfm for the 3 ton unit),  two 6x6 will still move almost the same amount of air and will allow for individual climate control should you need it now or in the future.
Reply to
homeowners

Site Timeline Threads