What laundry do you wash in hot water?

I currently only wash sheets and bedding in hot water

Everything lese in cold water

Is there any reason to wash other thing in hot water such as underwear, towels, etc?

Do such items need the hot water to kill any germs?

What do you wash in hot water?

Reply to
me

Nothing. I will do a hot water wash when a family member has been ill, but that's it.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Not even bedding?

You are supposed to wash bedding in hot water to kill dust mites

Reply to
me

Not even bedding?

You are supposed to wash bedding in hot water to kill dust mites

Reply to
me

Sheets, towels, kitchen towels, underwear, white socks get washed in hot water. Sometimes a very dirty item such as jeans will be washed in hot water. Hot water cleans better. However, there are stains that may set in hot water. Soapy water kills (most) germs.

Reply to
Phisherman

then why are you asking if you've already decided?!

i don't wash anything in hot water. kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

The EPA says it takes 12 minutes at 127 F to kill dust mites. I don't know if that kills the eggs, which stick.

The University of Nebraska says laundering at 77 F, which is pretty cold, will remove most dustmite allergens. They say the first line of defense is a vacuum cleaner with a good filter. They say a water filter is best. (I wonder what that is.) Steaming with a dry steamer, then vacuuming, is especially effective.

Dust mites grow best when it's above 75 F and above 70% humidity. Those conditions are most likely to exist in a bed. Special covers for mattresses and pillows can make a big difference. .

***
Reply to
Sawney Beane

The rate that I change my bedding would probably shock you, but I'll say I don't worry about dust mites. I wash bedding in cold water and it seems sufficient.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Won't the dryer do that?

I don't wash anything in hot.

-- Piper

Reply to
Piper

Interesting!

I didn't know abt the vacuum thing

Reply to
me

the dryer is probably hotter than the washer will ever be

Reply to
lmngroove

Agree

But do you think that washing sheets in cold water and then drying in a hot dryer will kill the dust mites as well as hot water washing and hot drying?

If yes.... I will quit washing even sheets in hot water as I always dry them in a dryer.

Reply to
me

Yes, besides the heat, humidity below 40% kills dust mites. I wonder what kills the eggs.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

OK good news

I will wash EVERYTHING in cold water than

Reply to
me

Some detergents contain enzymes. They work best around body temperature, like a bath tub.

One drawback of Oxiclean is that it works best in very hot water.

Hot water may get whites whiter, but I'm usually satisfied with warm.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

Whites get a boil wash.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

My sheets are not classed as whites - I use a 40c wash on them and I'm not too fussy about changing them overfrequently. My machine decides the temperature, some programmes will only take in hot, some only cold. Certain fabrics should be rinsed in warm. If you were ever married to a marine you would know their dress uniforms should be washed and rinsed in warm water. So how often do you change your sheets dear?

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

weekly

Reply to
me

it wouldn't shock me!! my personal record is three months. :-)

mind you, that was in 1987 or so. i'm much better about it now i'm a proper grown-up. now i aim for weekly, which means it's never longer than about 3 weeks... kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

Oh, I strive for at least once a month, min. Like I said, I don't worry about dust mites ;-)

Nan

Reply to
Nan