question about cleaning laminate

There was a discussion awhile back about a steam mop for hard surface floors. I can't find it now but it got me to thinking maybe I need one. Most of my floors are hard surface and I mop with vinegar and use swiffers. Would one of those steam mop things work for me? Would I get the floor cleaner and if so what kind should I buy and how much would it cost? I wish I had paid more attention when you all were discussing it but as I said, it got me to thinking I may need one.

Reply to
Phyllis Stone

First of all, you can always search the archives of the newsgroup for topics that were previously discussed. The link will take you to Google's advanced search page for newsgroups.

All my floors are laminate on the first floor except the master bath, which is ceramic tile. I have tried everything and settled on the steam mop. It does a great job, uses no chemicals, is quiet, easy to use, and it was inexpensive. My sister swore by her Hoover Floor Mate for her laminate floors. Unfortunately, the Floor Mate put so much water on the floor that over time it ruined her laminate! I had bought a steam mop for her several years ago, but she refused to try it - don't ask why, I'm sure there is some complex but irrational explanation. Eventually she broke down and tried the steam mop after replacing the laminate. Now she is completely convinced that the steam mop is the best way to clean. She has 10 dogs, so she gets lot of practice!

I have a Eureka Envior Steamer Deluxe. I think they may be discontinuing that model as is seems to be out-of-stock in many on-line stores. If you have a Tuesday Morning store in your area, they have them there under the "Homeworks" brand for $39. If you can't find that one, Bissell makes one as does Delongi. You can do a search (Froogle, Shopzilla, etc.) for "steam mop" and see what is available.

I recently got a Swiffer Vac. Before using the steam mop, you have to sweep or use a Swiffer. The Swiffer Vac has worked out very well. I got mine at Big Lots for $12. It seems that it was sold under the Dirt Devil brand and was acquired and re-branded by Proctor and Gamble under the Swiffer name.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I use a Bissell Flip it, it vacumes the floor (flat surfaces, not carpet) and then you flip it around and it mops, sucks up the water, and air dries them. Very good for laminate.

Reply to
justme