people who have had rugs in their homes

would you buy rugs again ?

peter

Reply to
ilaboo

Rugs - yes. Carpeting - no.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I look forward to the day my domicile becomes rug-less.

Reply to
Phisherman

How come?

Reply to
me

In the chase scenes with the convertible in "Smokey and the Bandit", Burt Reynolds' dome would become rugless. The solution was to use a cowboy hat with a chin strap, like Yul Brenner. Nowadays it's okay to wear a cowboy hat in the home, including at dinner and in bed. Nobody needs to buy a rug these days.

Sincerely, Choreboy

Reply to
Choreboy

yep. I agree with Vox. I have lots of pets. When we pulled up that old carpet, I bout puked. Gross. My floors are ceramic tile or wood. Carpet is like throwing a sweater on the floor and walking on it for years and years. Rugs? Rugs are cool. I have lots of rugs and I change them out often.

peggo

Reply to
peggo

Yul Brenner was so cool, he could wear a chin strap. Nothin cool bout Burt Reynolds. hm. Maybe boogie nights. He was kind of a cool asshole. Roller Girl. She was so cool she could wear roller skates.

peggo

Reply to
peggo

My experience is like peggo's. I have pets. Although my pets are housebroken, they do track in mud and periodically vomit. I like to garden and tend to track in dirt. About two years ago we did some renovations and removed our very worn and stained carpeting. It was about 6 years old. The dirt and debris beneath it was amazing despite the fact that I ran the sweeper and used the extraction cleaner on it frequently. We replaced all the carpeting with laminate flooring. We then got a couple of large area rugs - one for the living room and one for the dining room. These are areas that get little use and the rugs are used as design elements to anchor and define furniture groupings and for color. I have a runner in the hall and one in the master bedroom. They can be cleaned, removed, and replaced without disrupting the primary flooring material and they can be changed quickly and independently of each other.

The laminate flooring is steam cleaned and dust is easy to completely remove with electrostatic cloths (Swiffer, etc.) Mud and pet accidents can be easily wiped up and the floor can be sanitized. You can never really get carpeting clean. Filth penetrates to the backing and pad and into the subfloor. Carpeting is a breeding ground for mites. When we removed the carpeting, our allergies improved and even the dogs had fewer ear problems.

I posted some pictures at my website:

Vox Humana

sorry should have said carpeting

peter