Help! Pet stain on 100% viscose rayon area rug

While I was bedridden with the flu, my Boston terrier decided to have his way with my brand new area rug. Thankfully I caught the stain almost immediately (the dog looked guilty), but the damage was done. I sopped up the excess urine as best I could, but as the rug is 100% viscose rayon pile I knew not to apply water or a liquid cleaner. The directions on the rug say to "vacuum frequently and apply only powdered cleaners or dry clean". I am woefully ignorant about powdered cleaners...is there some special brand I should look for and if so, will my neighborhood store sell such an item? How does one apply such a cleaner?

The rug has a silk-like appearance, but at $300 it's not a priceless piece. However, it's more than I've ever spent for an area rug. If dry cleaning is my best bet, should I seek out a cleaner who only specializes in rugs?

Any help would be so appreciated! -Amanda

Reply to
Google User

I've never found a "dry" rug cleaner that worked--at least not over-the-counter.

Sijka

Reply to
sijka

(I just hate rug questions.) I found a product called "Resolve" works well on carpet stains. It is a moist powder that is tapped into the stain, allowed to dry, then vacuumed. I had an aquarium that leaked and stained my nylon carpet and Resolve did not work. In that case, I tried OxiClean which did remove the stain after alternating three applications and rinses. (I do not recommend OxiClean on rayon rugs.) An enzyme cleaner should also be effective on urine stain. A professional dry cleaner can remove the stain too, but be sure to provide all the details.

Reply to
Phisherman

Hi Amanda,

Take a look at

which shows how to remove an orange stain from a carpet using step-by-step pictures. You can use exactly this technique and after you've used the Acetic Acid solution use a 20% solution of ammonia and water. Both should give you a good chance of success.

You will have to check for colour fastness though before you start.

Hope this helps

-- DrClean

The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

Reply to
DrClean