Cleaning Advice Needed

Hi All

I need to clean up an area around a range that hasn't been cleaned in years. There's a nasty buildup of grease and dust and the grease is partially oxidized to boot.

Is there anything that will really cut this grease? Industrial strength? It's OK if it takes the paint off - I need to repaint, too.

Thanks in advance.

Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

You might try using some mineral spirits.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Sodium hydroxide will work well on heavy grease but you would have to be extremely careful and wear suitable attire, goggles, gloves and so on. We have one here that is a very strong drain cleaner but can be used in ovens. I am not a chemically minded person so perhaps one of the others would explain. If I had more time I would look it up for you but I have just returned from an invigorating break in the Highlands of Scotland and I have rather a lot to catch up on.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

can't recall where but in some newgroup someone was raving about Krud Kutter doing a great job on grease....they sell it in the paint section of HOme Depot

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

409 is an excellent grease cutter. ===
Reply to
Gini

Thanks for the replies - I'll let you know what works.

Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Try a combination of hot, wet towels (heated in the microwave till you can barely pick them up - a minute will do) and then baking soda. More towels, more baking soda. This combo is all I have ever used to clean my oven because I have lupus and have terrible reactions to most chemicals. The grease and baking soda, once softened by the heat and steam, make a brown paste that can be wiped or vacuumed away. Let me know if this works for you. Melinda

Reply to
melindasaccount