Cleaning a Broken Window

I have moved into a small house and the windows are in desperate need of cleaning. However, one of the panes in one window is broken but still in place in the framing.

Can I clean this one just like the others, or do I need to do something special to it?

The house is old, and parts of the windows have dry rot. I'm scared I'll either pop the piece out completely, or partially dislodge it and cut myself.

Thanks!

Reply to
Mamie K. Anding

Leave it alone until the glass is replaced!

Reply to
Phisherman

Yeah, like that's gonna happen in my lifetime. This is just one tiny item at the very, very bottom of an extremely long list of things that need to be done to this poor little house.

It's depressing having dirty windows, and I've moved from a 2nd story apartment that even if I washed the inside of the windows there, the outside were still dirty and not reachable. So, now that I'm on ground level and can reach everything, I just wanted clean windows. i guess these will just have to stay dirty and be covered up with a curtain!

Mamie

Reply to
Mamie K. Anding

If you're renting, you have the law on your side. If you give your landlord reasonable notice and he/she fails to repair something you can do it and deduct the expense from your rent.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Only if it's a health/safety risk. This is not. It's not broken out, just cracked inside the framing. Unless it gets knocked around (scrubbing or hit), it's not a danger.

Mamie

Reply to
Mamie K. Anding

So you're okay living in sub-standard housing?

Nan

Reply to
Nan

It is not substandard, just crappy, and my moving budget is zeroed out right now. I've explored my options for getting out, and I don't have the resources right now to get out.

Reply to
Mamie K. Anding

In my book, crappy = substandard. You stated there is a long list of things that need to be done. Your landlord won't do the repairs?

Nan

Reply to
Nan

In your book, crappy might equal substandard, but in the eyes of the Code Compliance Department and the law, it does not.

Reply to
Mamie K. Anding

So, if there is a long list of repairs needing to be done and your landlord is basically a slum lord that won't take care of their property, it sounds like you may want to consider saving money so you can move to a nicer place.

Nan

Reply to
Nan