Recommended book(s) on alternative solid waste disposal systems

Can anyone recommend any good books on alternative solid waste disposal systems? We can use them here in the VI. From what I've read in the building code is that you have the septic, but instead of the usual leach lines you have a series of trenches with plants that filter the waste.

Chris

Reply to
islandgirl

No good books, but it looks like the Canadians have found a cheaper method......just dump it in the street.

P.Fritz

That's a shitty thing to say :^P

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

Unlike the Mexico city sewer explosion

However, Michael Mobbs in his Sustainable House (Choice Books 1998) discusses a similar trench-plant method used in inner-suburban Sydney Australia.

Reply to
o8TY

Can you use a composting toilet?

o8TY wrote:

Reply to
Tim

I found out that we can use greywater systems which is just simpler name for alternative solid waste disposal systems. I'll probably have two. One for the solid waste (after going through the septic), and the other for water from the tub/shower, sinks and washing machine (which will be used to water the plants that won't be used for food). Water conservation will be very important since I live on an island and my water will be collected from the roof of the house and stored in an underground cistern.

I hate to say it but composting toilets are not aesthetically (spelling?) pleasing.

Reply to
islandgirl

Double check your allowances and definitions.

is grey water? Any water that has been used in the home, except water from toilets, is called grey water.

gruhn