Re: Preliminary house plans.

On 09 Jan 2010, Ken S. Tucker wrote

Now that we got our 20x20 together, Wife asked me to > design a new house, so I figure this plan might work, > (sorry it's inked and penciled), > >
(Copyright Ken Tucker) > > The heated indoor fish tank can be used for skinny dipping, > as long as you don't wear a bathing suit.

First thought: not a lot of bathrooms -- most new designs I see seem to give each bedroom their own ensuite.

(And no dedicated toilet for the party/pool/games suite? I'd definitely not want them trekking through the house for that.)

Reply to
HVS

I can't read the room labels. How about posting some larger pictures?

RicodJour

Even though I do 3D, I can appreciate the hand-drawn. So, love the drawings, and thanks for sharing. One thing; could you post them as slightly larger images next time? I'd like to make out the details a little better.

Making this thread both our prelims...

I've been cutting my teeth, especially over the holidays, on AutoCAD as you know, and got it working enough for my first ever saved render (nothing much and more of an abstract piece than anything)

can see Don's mannequin sitting down upper center.

I dislike rendering with ACAD (it crashed a couple of times too, possibly due to being run virtually) and am going to try another program if it can import the file.

Don; I generally agree about the quality of the modeling I seem to be finding online, and just worked out ACAD's solids(?) modeling that some may be unaware of (or maybe it's me). I didn't know it could, for example, fillet, vertices on 3D objects. But I tried it anyway and much to my pleasant surprise it worked, and well. It seems to reduce the total number of vertices and makes for clean lines too, which is not usually seen in the models I'm seeing online so far. I created the ladders you sort of see in the render using it.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Despite its size, mine should have 2 bathrooms:

idea goes that if both are shared, one could have a Japanese soaker tub, and the other, a simple standup "wet bathroom" shower, with a small washing machine.

Warm Worm

Japanese soaker tub:

My house's updates:
Experimenting with the front's facade, where the second-floor balcony, for example, has the jagged wood facade that appears as and is a homage to straw(/growth/etc.), such that the house may be insulated with. The house is dividable into 2 separate apartments, each with its own washroom, kitchen, bedroom, loft, balcony, living room, etc..

Reply to
Warm Worm

That tub, fully loaded, would create a floor load of 100 to 150 PSF minimum. Any second floor structure would have to be reinforced, and most first floor ones as well.

RicodJour

3' per square???? Boy, I'm gonna crack ya upside the noggin, I trained ya better'n that! Set your camera on the highest quality setting (1200x800), then resize (reduce the kb's) in ThumbsPlus or better yet Photoshop, then re upload it. Also, provide some decent overhead lighting and offload the flash.
Reply to
creative1986

BTW, the prelim is indicating an overall size closer to 6000 sf and growing. Funny how that stuff works sometimes.

Reply to
creative1986

Back about 1991 I spoke to Stephen King about his "Dark Tower" trifecta and inquired as to when he'd come out with the 4th book in the series. His reply was that that series was so intense that he did all of the work himself and the depth of the intensity was such that he almost went into a trance while working on it. It took him 10 whole years to get back to that project and release book 4, "Wizards and Glass" which I still haven't read. I've heard that the growing of new cells and the sloughing of old cells is done in such a manner that over a period of ten years a person becomes a whole 'nuther person, they ain't what they used to be. And thats the way it is with a project. You evolve overtime and what was once state of the art is now antique. The flowing of water under the bridge of time I suppose. I've been working on my sustainable off-grid home for 2 years now and put it on the back burner frequently and when I come back to it I always find better and newer ways to do things. To be precise, to get what you need out of a condensed space every single square inch counts and in a space with 100,000 square inches the combinations are infinite. Like King, I go into sort of a trance because the lifestyle I must imagine in my head as I design this thing is so different from what I am accustomed to I have to transport my consciousness to another plane of reality. Its tough. In that state time has no meaning and I can hear the bearing in the clock whine at mach speed but the rapid arc of moons shadow on the window is all I notice. Then satisfied and drained I leave it alone for awhile. But there it sits, ever patient, always ready for my return. I suspect this is one of those things that is more prone to actually doing rather than planning. Afterall, at some point all dreams must come to an end or bloom into reality......I mean, isn't that the goal?

Reply to
creative1986

I'm sitting here at a Starbucks' wireless in Ottawa's Little Italy, very close to where I lived with my ex g/f. Brings back occasionally vaguely wistful memories. Dreams were before the relationship, dreams of anticipation. I even went slightly out of my way and dropped into a cafe where she used to work at before I knew her. I sort of imagined she was there, serving me. She used to send me near there sometimes to deliver/pick up jewelry for/from fixing.

Agreed about projects that come and go, and dreams. We can design very small or large, sure, but I appreciate some semblance of balance, ergonomics, spirit, aesthetics, honesty, humility, stuff like that. Small works 4 me, but not too small. And small also seems to require a greater communication with the outdoors. Sometimes I'll look at some very small house projects online that seem less than liveable, so that helps me gauge how/where I'm doing/going.

Just as an afterthought, new is old again. It seems that there's a growing movement away from conventional building and towards that which we've been doing for millenia, which feels reassuring... Perhaps dreaming and reality can merge where we have the time to dream while we play while we create while we fish for food all at the same time. Where life's lines of distinction become blurred and disappear. Maybe once-a-week we go in for our mandatory high-tech corporate jobs. Like old times.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Thanks for the warning. Nothing like a visual of someone happily bathing while the foor suddenly cracks and the tub and all goes crashing through... I was thinking along those weight-lines, incidentally, while looking at baths carved out of granite, etc..

I'm posting this from Ottawa's Little Italy, by the way. It's a sunny and warm Jan 11th. that also brought the squirrels out. My ex g/f and I used to rent an upper flat from an older Italian landlady who used to sometimes have us down for (licorice-tasting-seed-- forget the name-- fennel?) biscotti and Pernod. There's a burned building not too far and I wondered about the salvageability of the greenish/(and burgundy?) brickwork. Well they haven't torn it down yet-- was last summer-- so maybe there's hope.

Reply to
Warm Worm