Re: Oddness About New York's Empire State Building

> > eds wrote: > >>>eds wrote: >>> >>> >>>>There are however some other more modern buildings that do sway, in >>>>particular the John Hancock Building in Boston. 600 tons of weight on >>>>movable sleds were installed a few years back to reduce the sway. Knew a >>>>guy on the 51'st floor who used bungee cords to secure his desk lamp >>>>during windy days. I think the sway was about 18" each way. >>>>EDS >>>> >>>Ranks up there with the glass Cobb building that has the effect of >>>raining up its facade >>> >>> >>Interesting, it was designed by Cobb in the Pei office. It also produced >>high winds on the ground. The Owners hired people catchers on windy days. >>Anyone less than 110# was in trouble around that building. During the >>window falling time, the City would block off the streets around the >>building. At that time I lived just a few blocks from it, and after a >>windy night could look from my bedroom and count the night's losses. By 9 >>AM the plywood would be installed. The trouble turned out to be the glass >>and frame. The remaining glass was taken out and sold. Some was installed >>in low rise buildings and still shattered under even low stress. >>EDS >> > > But Cobb has come up with some nice design. What do you personally think > about the courthouse on the fan pier? > >> >> >> >> >

I actually really like the Hancock Building, as it reflects it's surroundings nicely. The Federal Courthouse on Fan Pier is great from the water and entrance side, but rather grim from the street. I suppose part of that is security. I have not yet been inside, but am told it is good in a "courtly" way. EDS

Reply to
eds

Once you've been inside (it is, after all, open to the public), return to thread.

Reply to
++