Re: brand new

Watch also as the meaning of "terrorist" becomes more and more hard to discern.

Reply to
gruhn

Of course, "prosperity" may be "Help me take their stuff and I'll give some of it to you." But so long as it prospers me...

Reply to
gruhn

"gruhn" wrote in news:CQZEe.717$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

That's one that I've noticed, with increasing concern. I'm waiting for "verbal terrorist" or some such label for people who have the *gall* to actually practice their suppose freedom of speech...

The first step to tyranny is when power is consolidated into a group with a monolothic ideology. As infuriating as give-and-take can be, and as difficult, the instant that one group does most or all of the giving, and another does most or all of the taking, the path to tyranny has already become a highway.

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news:v_wGe.6959$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

You mean "Democrat"...?

...and I've been in the FBI files since, what, 1988 orm'89 (because of my job application with the agency I used to work for). So I'm on the "fast track" already. Then I lived in Canada for 10 years.

I'm in deep doodoo. =>:-p

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

What you got against rocks? Is this some sort of anti-druid thing you've got going?

;-)

Reply to
gruhn

"gruhn" wrote in news:9pzGe.63$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Heh...

But hey, Druids are pagans, so they don't know about stuff like "sanctity", so we're *supposed* to hate them - isn't that what the Prez Sez? - since they don't beleive the right things (the things we're supposed to), well, they're...not even really *human*...!

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"sanctity",

Some sort of instant coffee breast fetishism thing? Frickin' prevert.

I don't know what he says. Don't pay him much mind. When it started looking like "gruhn gets to die no matter what" I really stopped caring. "President said something again? What's his new excuse for killing me?" I've been listening to a lot of Beastie Boys lately. They don't seem to want to kill me.

Reply to
gruhn

"gruhn" wrote in news:2NvHe.81$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

oooh, oooh, it ttok ms sum ponderin' but Ah finally got it!

Good one ;) !

Oh, I *hope* so! heh heh heh

I try not to. It's just that, sometimes, things which are ultra-simple, such as blank white walls, or certain Paul McCartney songs, can drill maddeningly right into the center of one's poor brain...

You? Wow, they've really expanded the hunt - although I guess that intelligent people have always been targets.

Hear ya 5X5 on that one...

Cool - maybe I ought to get a couple of their CDs ;)

Of course Samoans and Fiji Islanders seem to be pretty mellow... oh wait, they live on the other side of the planet (literally and figuratively).

OK, so here is a weirdo question: Do politics and current political agendas influence building styles? IOW is the recent increase in (1) columns a search for delusions of Classical respectability, and in (2) turrets related to the increasingly Medieval/Feudal leanings of recent politics,...?

Or have I just had too much beer? Or not enough beer? Or...?

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Oh, they want to kill you. Don't be fooled by their soft exteriors. A Beasty with a mic can be deadly. ;-)

"Four and Three and Two and One, when I'm on the mic, the suckers run."

Reply to
Cato

See, but I ain't no sucker. Indeed, I blow.

Reply to
gruhn

Just a couple of 20th century guys with ties to Fascist regimes popped in my mind the minute I read your question.

Albert Speer

Guiseppe Terragni (via Sant'Elia? and the Italian Futurists)

I'm sure some others will post more in-depth analysis on this. I was thinking of the individual architects, but it might be a better to approach it via different architectural movements throughout history which had ties to certain political movements.

Reply to
Cato

"Cato" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It's actually something of an interesting question. Certainly public buildings (including residential complexes, town planning, and the like) reflect something of the overall attitudes (and of course tastes) of their current culture, but I have to go to Amazon.com and see whether there's a book covering the smaller home and/or development.

Once developer locally boasts that they use "customer surveys" to arrive at their designs and accoutrements, tho' I'm sure all of them do, to at least some extent. The Edsel was also designed that way and, even though people stayed away in droves, it does reflect something about the attitudes of the times.

In looking around at housing developments, I'm reminded of the old Cat Steven's song, "Where do the children play?" - I see great big houses with tiny yards (2500 sq ft is considered "quite small"!), and Community centers that seem incapable of handling the load.

I've been thinking about past building tendencies and trying to think how it all ties in.

Or whether it really even does. It's very possible that it's just another goofy idea of mine ;) !

I'm also trying to think back into earlier times.

I think, tho', that what I find most curious is, for all people talk about individuality, I wonder whether that is actually reflected in residential areas. It doesn't seem to be; the overall urge - esp. judging by all the "neighborhood/homeowners commitees" and all their various and often petty rules and regs - seems to be towards a very restrained individuality.

It's just another one of those things I wonder about.

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news:efzHe.1575$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

IMO this ties in with the new =:-p look for the 9/11 site.

It's one thing to design-in big concrete planters to prevent rammings, and other security features - but it's another thing entirely to make something look like a bunker/blockhouse. That alone makes me nervious, because it looks so - well, so *Soviet*...

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news:zQMHe.9227$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net: