Planning permission in Chelsea

Does anyone happen to know if knocking out a non-supporting wall in an owner-occupied non-listed property requires planning permission in Chelsea and, if so, roughly how long does it take to come through?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Walters

On 31 May 2005, Tim Walters wrote

I don't think it's a planning issue -- if it falls under anything, it'll be building control. Kensington & Chelsea have a pretty good planning and building control site; the following is from

Do I need approval to make internal alternations within my house, shop or office?

  1. my house

Yes, if the alterations are to the structure such as the removal or part removal of a load bearing wall, joist, beam or chimney breast, or would affect fire precautions of a structural nature either inside or outside your house. You also need approval if, in altering a house, work is necessary to the drainage system or to maintain the means of escape in case of fire.

That makes it sound like you wouldn't need it for a non-loadbearing internal wall.

But: I. Am. Not. A. Lawyer. (So you're best to give them a ring!)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Harveys right I think

Give building control a ring and talk it through with a building inspector - they are usually pretty helpful with things like this

Is the wall part of a fire compartment/escape route as mentioned above? that would have an impact on the work

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Na, Harvey's wrong, don't call a stupid lawyer, unless you're charitable. If in doubt ask an architect or carpenter. BUT if the wall is really a no-carrier as the OP said, knock it out, enjoy. Why does everybody need to go screamin to the cops when they park legally??? ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

On 31 May 2005, Ken S. Tucker wrote

??? I didn't meean call a *lawyer*: I meant call Building Control.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Sorry Harvey, I saw the word lawyer, whew... that was close! Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

On 01 Jun 2005, Ken S. Tucker wrote that Harvey wrote that Ken wrote

FWIW, I'm sometimes commissioned by lawyers to do research -- expert witness stuff, when property disputes get nasty -- and the ones I know would agree entirely that one should *always* try to avoid using them.

(Honest.)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle